Creamy homemade vegan strawberry ice cream is cool and refreshing and WAY better than store bought! This plant-based dessert is bursting with strawberry flavor and only requires a few simple ingredients.
I’m a true ice cream aficionado. At least that’s what I like to think! When I was fourteen years old I got my first ever job aside from baby sitting scooping ice cream!
It was a 1950’s ice cream shop and my uniform required that I wore a pink poodle skirt and saddle shoes. It was called Yesterday’s Collection, and was attached to a shop that sold 1950’s and 1960’s memorabilia.
You could buy juke boxes, old time gas pumps, collectable toy cars, and so much more! They also had a couple of classic cars on display.
The ice cream shop was known for their BIG scoops, huge banana splits, and a 16 scoop ice cream sundae!
I only saw it ordered twice and luckily it was shared amongst a large group, but oh my! It was a thing made of children’s dreams!
One of my fondest memories was when it was closing time. The other girls and I would play the juke box while we mopped the floors, and cleaned the shop. American Pie was our favorite song to listen to!
Looking back, the summer I worked in the ice cream shop was my favorite of all my odd jobs as a teenager!
I was certain by the end of the summer that I would tire of ice cream, but NOPE! Not a bit! I tried every single ice cream flavor that summer!
That’s why I like to think of myself as an unofficial ice cream aficienado!
Considering my love for ice cream, and the lengths I’ve gone to trying all of the store bought vegan ice cream varieties available, I’m surprised this is only my second ice cream recipe after my chocolate nice cream!
But this is a true vegan ice cream recipe! Made with a combination of coconut milk, and coconut cream, and naturally sweetened with maple syrup and raw sugar.
Why you’ll love this vegan strawberry ice cream recipe…
- Ultra creamy
- Made with real coconut milk and coconut cream
- Naturally sweetened with maple syrup and raw sugar
- Lots of fresh strawberries to achieve a natural strawberry flavor
- Better than store bought vegan ice cream
- Only a few simple ingredients
Tools and Equipment
Ice Cream Maker: This recipe requires an ice cream maker. You can use an old fashioned type, but I prefer my electric! It’s so simple to use, and makes perfect creamy ice cream every single time!
Blender or Food Processor: I use my blender, but if you don’t have a blender you can use your food processor to blend the strawberries, lemon juice, and sugar together to get a creamy and smooth texture, before adding it to your the coconut cream.
Recipe Ingredients and Notes
Fresh Strawberries: You need at least one pint of fresh strawberries. Be sure to hull and slice them before adding to the blender.
Lemon Juice: You may wonder why this recipe calls for lemon juice. The lemon juice adds a touch of acidity, but it also helps keep the strawberries fresh, and enhances their natural flavor.
Coconut Milk and Coconut Cream: You will need one can each of full fat coconut milk, and coconut cream. Coconut cream is a richer, heavier, and creamier than coconut milk. You can also buy light coconut milk, but I recommend going with full fat to get an ultra creamy texture. If you can’t find coconut cream, go ahead and use two cans of full fat coconut milk.
Hot to Make Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream – Step by Step
Step 1: The night before you’re ready to make the ice cream, place the ice cream bowl in the freezer.
Step 2: Combine the strawberries, lemon juice, and ⅓ cup of sugar in a mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate for an hour or more.
Step 3: Remove strawberries from the refrigerator. Add the strawberries to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
Step 4: Add the coconut milk, coconut cream and maple syrup to a large pot. Whisk together. When maple syrup is combined with coconut milk, whisk in strawberry puree. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat as soon as it reaches a simmer. Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour.
Step 5: Transfer contents to chilled ice cream bowl, and churn for about 20-30 minutes or until you get a soft serve like consistency.
Step 6: Transfer to a loaf pan. Smooth out the top.
Cover, and place in the freezer for about 6 hours to set completely.
Top Tips for Making Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream
- Be sure to place your ice cream maker bowl in the freezer for at least 24 hours before you want to make the ice cream. Leave it in the freezer until you’re ready to churn the ice cream. Leaving it on the counter will defrost it too soon!
- Chill the ice cream mixture before transferring it to the ice cream bowl for churning. You’ll get a creamier texture!
- Use an ice cream maker for best results!
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can blend the strawberries and sugar, and combine them with the coconut milk, and pour into a loaf pan and freeze. Be aware that the consistency will not be as creamy, and will turn out more on the icy side.
- For a powerful punch of strawberry flavor add a teaspoon and a half of strawberry extract.
- Don’t overfill your ice cream maker or it will overflow when the ice cream begins to turn solid.
- Reduce the overall sugar, if you prefer a less sweet taste. You can leave out the ⅓ cup of raw sugar, and reduce the maple syrup to ½ a cup.
- If you like chunks of strawberries. Chop up a few strawberries into small cubes, and allow the ice cream churner to mix in the chopped strawberries just before you’re ready to transfer it to the loaf pan.
Keep your ice cream stored in the freezer. Be sure to keep it covered with plastic wrap.
This ice cream will last for about one week when kept covered in the freezer.
Heating the coconut milk and coconut cream helps to melt and combine the two together. Both coconut milk and coconut cream tend to separate in the can with the fat floating to the top. Heating and whisking these two milks together evens out the fats, and creates a divine ice cream texture!
No, you don’t have to use strawberry extract. This is an optional ingredient. Using one whole pint of strawberries will give you the flavor you’re looking for, but if you want an extra punch of that strawberry flavor, go ahead and add the strawberry extract.
My recommendation is to use coconut milk and coconut cream. It is high in fat, which is necessary to create a smoothe and creamy texture. Using other plant-milk, that are low in fat will create an icy texture. If you’re going for smooth and creamy, use high fat coconut milk!
Yes, you really do need an ice cream maker to get a smooth and creamy texture.
How to Serve
Serve topped with vegan chocolate sauce to create a sundae!
Add fresh sliced strawberries on top!
Serve in a bowl, or on your favorite ice cream cone!
Check out these other plant-based vegan strawberry recipes!
- Vegan Strawberry Cake
- Strawberry Chia Jam
- Fruit Kabobs
- Vegan Vanilla Pudding with Fresh Berries
- Vegan Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream
- The night before you're ready to make the ice cream, place the ice cream bowl in the freezer.
- Combine the strawberries, lemon juice, and ⅓ cup of sugar in a mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate for an hour or more.
- Add the strawberries to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add the coconut milk, coconut cream and maple syrup to a large pot. Whisk together. When maple syrup is combined with coconut milk, whisk in strawberry puree. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat as soon as it comes to a simmer. Transfer to the refrigerator. Allow to chill for an hour or more.
- Transfer contents to an ice cream maker, and churn for about 20-30 minutes or until you get a soft serve like consistency.
- Transfer to a loaf pan. Smooth out the top, cover, and place in the freezer for about 6 hours to set completely. Enjoy!
- Store in the freezer covered for up to one week.
- Allow to defrost a bit on the counter top for ease of scooping.