This easy Air Fryer Squash recipe is made with zucchini and yellow squash lightly seasoned and tossed in garlic to create a golden brown side dish in minutes!
In the summer I could eat a combination of veggie side dishes as my main meal every day of the week! Back when I was a kid we made a dinner of side dishes on summer Farmers Market Saturdays.
My mom and I had a tradition of visiting our local Farmers Market every Saturday in the summer. We’d pick up fresh corn, big juicy heirloom tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, and whatever else looked fresh and delicious.
That night we’d make a meal out of side dishes! We’d boil the corn, slice the tomatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper, and fry up the zucchini.
That meal would be the highlight of my week! So many flavors of summer put together to create a veggie filled meal.
Even though my family was used to having a traditional American meal with a protein, potato, and veggie, nobody complained on Farmers Market Saturdays when we indulged in fresh veggies that were the ultimate flavors of summer.
This Air Fryer Squash recipe reminds me of that nostalgic meal.
When I made this squash for my family we ate it with corn on the cob and fresh tomatoes just like we did when I was a kid!
Although, I encourage you to pair it with a main dish too!
Why You’ll Love this Air Fryer Squash Recipe…
- 4 ingredients
- Takes minutes to make
- Easy prep
- Roasts to a golden brown
- Simple side dish
- Naturally vegan and gluten-free
- Healthy and nutrient rich
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Zucchini-I use the long and thin zucchini variety. Look for ones that are fresh and not bruised.
- Yellow Squash-This is the squash that has a narrow neck that widens at the bottom.
- Garlic-Add more or less depending on how much garlic you like.
- Olive Oil-You only need a small amount to achieve a nice golden brown finish.
- Salt and Pepper-Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Tools and Equipment
You’ll need your handy air fryer to prepare this recipe! Below are my top three choices at different price points.
- Dash Air Fryer: Under $50 and great for small batch recipes.
- Go Wise Air Fryer: Under $100 and large enough for families.
- Ninja Food: Under $200, this small appliance can air fry, pressure cook, and slow cook to create your favorite recipes. Minimize the need for three separate appliances with this all in one!
How to Make Air Fryer Squash – Step by Step
Step 1: Cut the ends off the zucchini and yellow squash. Then slice lengthwise, and into small half moon shapes. In a large bowl toss the zucchini and yellow squash in olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
Step 3: Transfer to air fryer basket. Set temperature to 400 F, and set the time to 15 minutes.
Toss half way at about 7.5 minutes. (If your air fryer is small, you’ll need to make in two batches.)
Step 4: Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with fresh herbs.
Top Tips for Making Air Fryer Squash
- You only need a small amount of olive oil. I use 1 tsp. This helps to achieve that golden brown color.
- Be sure to toss the squash half way through cooking time. This will ensure that all the veggies are cooked evenly.
- If you have a small air fryer (like me) you’ll need to make this recipe in two batches so as not to over crowd the basket and ensure all pieces cook evenly and brown.
- If you’d like to avoid oil, substitute soy sauce and eliminate the salt. If you cannot use soy sauce use coconut aminos.
- Top with fresh herbs. I suggest parsley, basil, cilantro, or dill.
This squash side dish pairs nicely with a variety of vegan main dishes.
Pair this recipe with other fresh veggie side dishes such as roasted soy sauce brussel sprouts.
If you have loads of zucchini to unload, try these Vegan Zucchini Muffins! They’re moist, light, naturally sweetened, and oil-free!
How to Store and Keep
Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. When ready to reheat, warm in the microwave.
Check out these other healthy vegetable air fryer recipes!
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
- Air Fryer Carrots
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash
If you’ve tried this Air Fryer Squash, please rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest for more vegan plant-based family recipes your whole family will enjoy!
Air Fryer Squash
- Air Fryer
- 2 zucchini
- 2 yellow squash
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Cut the ends off the zucchini and yellow squash. Then slice lengthwise, and into small half moon shapes. In a large bowl toss the zucchini and yellow squash in olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to air fryer basket. Set temperature to 400 F, and set the time to 15 minutes. Toss half way at about 7.5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with fresh herbs.
- If you have a small air fryer you’ll need to make in two batches so as not to over crowd the basket and ensure all pieces cook evenly and brown.
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Warm in the microwave.