Follow these quick and easy tips to create crispy air fryer shoestring fries. They are effortless and come out perfect every time!
This post was updated on May 23, 2023, with new photos, a video, more tips, and FAQS.
My family loves French Fries. But making homemade crispy fries as often as they want to consume them is too much effort! That’s when I rely on using my air fryer to create golden brown, crispy French fries using store-bought frozen shoestring fries. They come out perfect every time!
There’s not a lot to this air fryer recipe. If you want something fresh, try my homemade Air Fryer Potato Wedges. They are always a big hit too!
But if you’re looking for a quick and easy side dish that requires only two ingredients, Frozen Shoestring Fries in the Air Fryer is the best way to go!
This ultimate guide to cooking crispy French fries in the air fryer will help you create everyone’s favorite side dish in no time flat!
🍟 Different Brands of Frozen Shoestring French Fries
I’m choosy when it comes to packaged food, which also goes for frozen French fries. Not all packaged fries are created equal.
If you’ve ever turned a package over and compared ingredients from one to the other, you know exactly what I’m talking about.
Take a close look at the ingredients. Many brands have added preservatives and ingredients that are unnecessary. Look for a brand that is…
- No Processed Ingredients
These are my top brands that can easily be found:
I like the Alexia brand of fries the best. They are available in most grocery stores. They have shoestring fries, tater tots, and sweet potato fries.
They are Organic, Non-GMO, and contain only a few ingredients (potatoes, oil, apple juice (for color), and citric acid.
While they have added apple juice and citric acid, these are two natural ingredients, unlike the added ingredients in other brands that are anything but natural!
💗 Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Easy side dish
- No extra ingredients are needed!
- Get the best-frozen fries that are perfectly crispy!
- Less expensive and healthier than fast food fries!
- No deep fryer is needed!
- No extra oil is needed!
📋 Ingredients and Notes
All you need is your favorite Organic Frozen French Fries and quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
👩🏻🍳 How to Make Air Fryer Frozen Shoestring Fries
- Lightly spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray or gently rub 1 tablespoon of olive oil around the basket. You don’t need a lot, just a light layer.
- Fill the basket with French fries. Don’t overcrowd the basket. You don’t need to place them in the air fryer in a single layer the way you do with many other air fryer recipes, but you also don’t want to overfill the basket. You want enough space to allow the hot air to circulate and crisp the fries perfectly on all sides. If your basket is large enough, you may be able to add the whole bag of fries.
- Set the air fryer temperature to 400 F. Depending on the thickness of your fries; you will need to vary the cooking time. For shoestring fries, I recommend 10-15 minutes, tossing halfway through.
📝 Expert Tips
- Don’t overcrowd the basket.
- Spray a light amount of olive oil cooking spray in the basket before adding the shoestring fries.
- Adjust the cooking time based on the thickness of your fries. For example, shoestring fries will need less time than crinkle fries.
❓ Recipe FAQS
For best results, follow the below cooking times for the type of frozen fries you are using. Cooking times vary depending on crispiness and thickness.
Shoestring Fries: 10-15 minutes, tossing halfway.
Crinkle Fries: 15 minutes, tossing halfway.
Waffle Fries: 15 minutes, tossing halfway.
I recommend lightly spraying the cooking basket with cooking spray or rubbing a teaspoon of oil around the basket for the crispiest fries.
Yes, you can make air fryer french fries using fresh potatoes. You must wash, peel, and slice your russet potatoes into thin matchsticks. Using a mandoline is a great way to cut evenly. Toss with oil and salt, then place them in the air fryer in a single layer. It’s important to place the potatoes in a single layer if you are using fresh potatoes so that they can cook evenly. Bake for 12 minutes at 400° Fahrenheit, tossing halfway through the cooking process.
There are many air fryers to choose from, and the best one depends on what you plan to use it for. A large, high-capacity air fryer like the Ninja Foodi is good for large families, while the small Dash air fryer is great for singles or couples.
Cayenne Pepper: Kick these air fryer fries up by tossing them in ⅛ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
Onion Powder and Garlic Powder: Sprinkle with a bit of onion and garlic powder, and give it a toss before adding to the basket.
🍽 How to Serve
- A must with French Fries is alway ketchup! Look for a brand that is organic, has simple ingredients, and a natural sweetener. I like Sir Kensington’s Classic Ketchup.
- These would also taste great dipped in my homemade Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce.
- If you’re looking for a main dish to serve with these easy fries, try my Vegan Black Bean Quinoa Burger or Vegan Sloppy Joes.
❄️ How to Store
Keep the frozen fries in the freezer until you are ready to use them. There is no need to defrost them prior to cooking them in the air fryer. If you have leftover fries transfer them to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Transfer them back to the air fryer to crisp back up when you’re ready to eat them again.
😋 More Air Fryer Recipes!
🍴 Serving Size
If you use a 16-ounce bag of frozen fries, this recipe will create five servings.
Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
- 16 oz bag of Frozen French Fries organic, Non-GMO preferred
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or cooking spray
- Using a paper towel, spread the olive oil around the air fryer basket, or lightly spray the basket with cooking spray. I prefer using olive oil spray. You don't need a lot, just a light layer.
- Fill the basket with the frozen shoestring fries. Don't overcrowd the basket. You don't need to place them in the air fryer in a single layer the way you do with many other air fryer recipes, but you also don't want to cram them. A few overlapping fries is okay, but keeping them as close to a single layer will allow the air to circulate and crisp the fries perfectly on all sides.
- Set the air fryer temperature to 400 F. Depending on the thickness of your fries. For shoestring fries cook for 10-15 minutes, tossing halfway through. The amount of time you cook your fries is based on the size of your air fryer, and how many ounces you are cooking at one time.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket.
- Spray a light amount of olive oil cooking spray to the basket before adding fries.
- Adjust cooking time based on how many fries you are cooking at one time, and the size of your air fryer. More fries will take longer. While a larger air fryer that allows more space for the fries will take a shorter amount of time.