Look no further! You’ve found the healthiest oven roasted brussel sprout recipe that’s vegan and oil free! These roasted soy sauce brussel sprouts have 5 simple ingredients. In 25 minutes you’ll have sweet, salty, crispy roasted brussel sprouts without the need for oil.
Serve as a side dish at your holiday gathering or make it a weekly staple. You’ll never need another brussel sprout recipe again!!
Roasted Soy Sauce Brussel Sprouts Oil-Free
Years ago my husband and I were in Chicago for our baby moon. It was February and it was cold and windy. We were staying at a beautiful hotel in the heart of the city called the Palomar. We had big plans of walking the city, going to museums, doing a little shopping for our new baby, and trying lots of interesting restaurants.
Our big plans didn’t take into consideration that I was pregnant and we were in one of the coldest cities in the United States in the middle of February. We didn’t end up venturing too far from the 3 block radius of our hotel. Lucky for us the Palomar had a fantastic restaurant. It was a tapas style restaurant where you order lots of small plates to share. Both my husband and I loved this idea because we could try all the things!!
One of our favorite dishes was their roasted brussel sprouts. This was before brussel sprouts came bounding on the scene as the “it” vegetable. After that roasted brussel sprouts became a regular side dish in our house.
Can you make roasted brussel sprouts without oil?
My husband loves roasted vegetables. He’s not a big fan of salads. He thinks steamed vegetables are flavorless unless they’re doused in butter and salt. But roasted vegetables he could eat all day everyday.
The challenge is that most roasted vegetables have heavy amounts of oil which dramatically increases the fat and calories of an otherwise healthy side dish.
I knew I could create a recipe for oven roasted brussel sprouts that were still bursting with flavor, nice and crispy, but oil free.
Roasted brussel sprouts without oil? Is that possible? That’s probably what you’re asking yourself, and that’s what my husband said to me.
I’m here to tell you, yes!! There’s absolutely no need for oil to create a crispy roasted brussel sprouts.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Roasted Soy Sauce Brussel Sprouts
- 1 lb of fresh brussel sprouts
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of dijon mustard
- 1 tsp of maple syrup
- 3 cloves of garlic
I like to get the bag of pre-washed and trimmed brussel sprouts to save time.
Tools You’ll Need
How to Make Roasted Soy Sauce Brussel Sprouts – Step by Step
Step 1: Preheat oven to 400 F. Wash and trim ends of brussel sprouts. Remove any leaves from the outside that look wilted. Cut in half. If you have larger brussel sprout you may want to cut them into quarters.
Step 2: In a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, dijon mustard, maple syrup, and garlic.
Step 3: Put the brussel sprouts into a large zip-lock bag. Pour garlic dijon marinade over the brussel sprouts. Seal the bag and shake vigorously until all the brussel sprouts are evenly covered with the marinade.
Step 4: Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Evenly spread the brussel sprouts on the baking sheet in a single layer.
Step 5: Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately.
Top Tips for Making Roasted Soy Sauce Brussel Sprouts
- Even if you buy the pre-washed and trimmed brussel sprouts I recommend you wash them again, trim the bottoms, and remove any wilted leaves. This will freshen them up for the baking process.
- If you have very large brussel sprouts cut them into quarters. This will ensure they cook and caramelize in the oven in 15-20 minutes.
- If you like things a little spicier add 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes to the soy sauce marinade.
- At the 15 minute mark of baking take the brussel sprouts out of the oven. If they need a bit more time to get that nice golden brown color give them a toss, flipping them over, and roast for an additional 5 minutes.
Are oil free roasted soy sauce brussel sprouts healthy?
- Oil-Free-These roasted brussel sprouts don’t need any oil making them whole food plant-based. This reduces the overall fat and calories in a serving.
- High in Fiber-A half cup serving has 2 grams of fiber which is 8% of your total recommended fiber. Fiber helps you feel fuller longer as well as promoting a healthy digestive track.
- High in Vitamins and Minerals-Brussel sprouts are high in vitamin K which promotes bone health, and vitamin C which helps the immune system.
- Rich in Antioxidants-Antioxidants help lower your risk of chronic diseases.
Check out these other healthy side dishes!
Roasted Soy Sauce Brussel Sprouts | Oil-Free
- 1 lb fresh brussel sprouts
- 1 tbsp soy sauce low sodium
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup organic
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Wash and trim ends of brussel sprouts. Remove any leaves from the outside that look wilted. Cut in half. If you have larger brussel sprout you may want to cut them into quarters.
- In a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, dijon mustard, maple syrup, and garlic.
- Put the brussel sprouts into a large zip-lock bag. Pour garlic dijon marinade over the brussel sprouts. Seal the bag and shake vigorously until all the brussel sprouts are evenly covered with the marinade.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Evenly spread the brussel sprouts on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately.
If you’ve tried this recipe for roasted soy sauce brussel sprouts, please rate it and let me know how it turned out. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest for more plant-based family recipes your whole family will enjoy!