These air fryer carrots are simply seasoned with garlic, salt, and pepper. A touch of olive oil roasts them to perfection. Serve topped with fresh dill!
This week my produce bin in the fridge was getting low. I needed to put some veggies on the table for dinner. My family is okay with eating raw veggies for snacks or at lunch, but when it comes to dinner they want them warm and dressed up!
I had a bag of organic baby carrots that were still good and decided to use the air fryer to make some magic.
Roasting veggies in the air fryer takes about half the time as it does in the oven. You save the time needed to preheat the oven, and roasting time is cut in half! Not to mention clean-up is a breeze. All around, it’s a fantastic way to roast vegetables!
👩🍳 Why This Recipe Works
- Carrots are crispy on the outside, and warm and tender on the inside.
- Air frying takes half the time as oven roasting!
- Only 5 simple pantry and fresh ingredients needed!
- Serve with your favorite sauce, or enjoy simply seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Add more veggies to the air fryer with your carrots for a mixed vegetable side dish.
- This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, whole-30, and paleo.
🥕 Ingredients and Notes
Carrots: Use baby carrots, rainbow carrots, or washed, peeled, and cut carrot sticks. Just be sure your carrots are cut in such a way that they fit your air fryer basket.
Seasoning: All you need is a bit of salt and black pepper. However, feel free to get creative with your seasoning. Add garlic powder, some cayenne for heat, or paprika for a smoky flavor. Season with 1 tsp of any dried herbs you like. Oregano, rosemary, thyme, dill, basil, parsley, would compliment these carrots nicely.
📖 Variations and Substitutions
Maple Glazed Carrots: Toss the carrots in a tablespoon of maple syrup and a ½ teaspoon of cinnamon.
Air Fry Whole Carrots: If your air fryer basket is large enough, feel free to air fry whole carrots. Prep them as you would regular carrots, but extend the cooking time to 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Air Fryer Carrot Fries: Cut the carrots into thin sticks to resemble fries. Since the carrots are not as thick, reduce the cooking time to 15 minutes.
📋 Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: If you are using regular carrots, not baby carrots, be sure to wash and peel them. Slice the carrots into strips that will fit your air fryer basket, or roast whole if your air fryer basket is large enough. If using baby carrots you can skip this step.
Step 2: Combine the carrots, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. You can add any additional seasoning variations you desire at this time. Toss with clean hands until well combined.
Step 3: Place carrots in the air fryer in a single layer.
Step 4: Roast at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes. At the 10-minute mark, remove the basket, and shake. Carrots are ready when they are slightly golden brown, crispy, and cooked all the way through.
Step 5: Serve warm and crispy as is or drizzled with your favorite sauce. My vegan tahini dressing pairs nicely.
❓ Recipe FAQS
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Prepare the carrots by washing, peeling, and slicing into strips.
Toss the carrots with olive oil and seasoning in a large mixing bowl.
Transfer them to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Spread them out on the baking sheet in an even layer.
Roast them for about 20 minutes, tossing them at the 10-minute mark.
These carrots make for an excellent side dish for special occasion dinners, or a simple weeknight dinner. I suggest serving them topped with a drizzle of tahini, alongside mashed potatoes, and a vegan roast!
Allow them to cool to room temperature. Transfer them to an airtight container. Keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Reheat your carrots by placing them back in the air fryer at 375 degrees F for about 4 minutes, tossing at the 2-minute mark.
💭 Expert Tips
- Fresh organic carrots will be even more flavorful! But use what you have!
- Omit the olive oil if trying to reduce fat or avoid oil all together. You could toss the carrots in a tablespoon of vegetable stock. But reduce salt if you use this method.
- Don’t overcrowd your air fryer. Place the carrots in a single layer so that they cook evenly.
- These carrots taste best served hot and crispy out of the air fryer.
- If you like your carrots softer, I like mine with a bit of a crunch, roast for an additional 5 minutes or until fork tender.
Air Fryer Carrots
- 1 lb rainbow carrots or baby carrots
- 1 tsp garlic
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil or use vegetable stock if avoiding oil
- If you are using regular carrots, not baby carrots, be sure to wash and peel them. Slice the carrots into strips that will fit your air fryer basket, or roast whole if your air fryer basket is large enough. If using baby carrots you can skip this step.
- Combine the carrots, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. You can add any additional seasoning variations you desire at this time. Toss with clean hands until well combined.
- Place carrots in the air fryer in a single layer.
- Roast at 400 F for 20 minutes, tossing at the 10 minute mark. Carrots are ready when they are slightly golden brown, crispy, and cooked all the way through.
- Serve warm and crispy as is or drizzled with your favorite sauce. My vegan tahini dressing pairs nicely.
- You do not need to use baby carrots. Use fresh large carrots cut into strips or ½ inch chunks.
- Fresh carrots and rainbow carrots will have more flavor.
- Olive oil gives them a nice crispness and golden brown finish. If omitting use vegetable stock to coat carrots before roasting.
- Season with 1 tsp of any dried herbs such as oregano, rosemary, thyme, dill, basil, or parsley.
- Cook in the air fryer for an additional 5 minutes if carrots are too crunchy for your liking.
- Store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Reheat in the air fryer for about 4 minutes at 375 degrees F.