This healthy banana split is a combination of sliced bananas, creamy yogurt (dairy-free or regular), and mixed berries, topped with chia seed sprinkles! It’s full of antioxidants, low in fat and calories, and naturally sweetened!
I have been stuck at home with the kids trying to keep them engaged, occupied and off of electronics as much as possible.
It’s been a challenge to say the least! My husband is home too, but he is in his office on meetings and calls for most of the day,.
It’s up to me to wrangle the children, while also multi-tasking by creating new recipes for my readers, completing my client work, and keeping the house in some sort of order.
We recently moved to a new state, so I’m also getting used to a whole new metro area, unpacking boxes, hanging curtains, painting, you name it!
This February has been a bit overwhelming!
So, today I’m keeping it simple yet delicious.
My kiddos wanted to go out for ice cream to get a sundae or banana split. However, I’m not too familiar with the area yet, and we’re trying to stay home as much possible.
That’s when I came up with this healthy banana split idea using ingredients I had in the fridge!
It’s sweet, fun, and easy to make, not to mention it’s totally healthy with loads of antioxidants from the berries, omega-3s from the chia seeds, natural sweetness from the bananas, and a creamy protein rich dairy-free yogurt (or Greek yogurt if you prefer)!
The kids cleaned their plates, and thought it was the best plant-based dessert ever!
Why you’ll love this Healthy Banana Split…
- Simple ingredients
- Full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and protein
- Easy and quick
- No guilt dessert or snack
- Dairy-Free and Vegan
- Naturally gluten-free
Recipe Ingredients and Notes
Bananas: For this recipe, I don’t like to use overly ripe bananas. Go for the ones that have just ripened so they are a bit more firm, and don’t get mushy.
Chia Seeds: The chia seeds are like healthy sugar free sprinkles that are full of omega-3s, and protein!
Fresh Berries: A combination of fresh strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries, are not only beautiful, but delicious. However, use whatever berries you have on hand. I opt for organic whenever possible.
Yogurt: Use plain unsweetened yogurt. I use plain dairy-free soy yogurt. If you are not vegan, or dairy-free feel free to sub this with regular plain yogurt, or plain Greek yogurt.
Tools and Equipment
Strawberry Huller and Slicer: This is certainly optional, but if you hull and slice a lot of strawberries this little tool is a great addition to your kitchen.
How to Make a Healthy Banana Split – Step by Step
Step 1: Slice bananas lengthwise down the middle. Then cut in half. Place one banana sliced (4 slices) on each plate in a circular design.
Step 2: In a small mixing bowl combine yogurt, and maple syrup. Whisk together with a fork until well combined. Add about half a cup of yogurt onto each plate in the center of the banana slices.
Step 3: Wash berries, pat dry. Hull and cut strawberries in half. Place about ¼ cup of mixed fresh berries onto each plate.
Step 4: Top with half a teaspoon of chia seeds. Enjoy!
Top Tips for Making this Healthy Banana Split
- Use ripe bananas, but not browned bananas.
- Slice the bananas with the peel still on, it helps to keep them from slipping in your hands, then peel the banana.
- If you’re making this for one, or two people, reduce the amount of berries, yogurt, and chia seeds.
Substitutions and Variations
Chocolate Sauce: If you want to make this a little more like a dessert drizzle with my homemade vegan chocolate sauce! It’s quick and easy and uses pantry ingredients!
Caramel Sauce: Another option to really amp up the dessert factor is to add a drizzle of homemade vegan caramel sauce. It’s made with coconut cream, and comes out golden and delicious!
Chopped Nuts: If you’d like to add some crunch, top with your favorite chopped nuts. Walnuts or pecans would be perfect!
Check out these other healthy dessert ideas!
- Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream
- Vegan Baked Apples
- Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Protein Balls
- Peanut Butter Yogurt (Dairy-Free)
Healthy Banana Split
- 4 bananas
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup raspberries
- ½ cup strawberries hulled and sliced
- 2 teaspoon chia seeds
- 2 cups soy yogurt or regular plain or Greek plain
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- Slice bananas lengthwise down the middle. Then cut in half. Place on 4 plates in a circular design.
- In a small mixing bowl combine yogurt, and maple syrup. Whisk together with a fork until well combined. Add about ¼ cup of yogurt onto each plate in the center of the banana slices.
- Wash berries, pat dry. Hull and cut strawberries in half. Place about ¼ cup of mixed fresh berries onto each plate.
- Top with half a teaspoon of chia seeds. Enjoy!