These Air Fryer Baked Apples are a simple and healthy dessert perfect for apple season! The apples are cored, dusted with cinnamon, and air fried until soft then served with a scoop of ice cream.
If you’re on the lookout for an easy and quick fall dessert that’s sure to impress, you’ve found it!
With apple season in full swing, it’s time to enjoy autumn apples in new and creative ways. Sure you can make healthy sugar-free applesauce, and sugar-free apple crisp, but how about something even easier, faster, and arguably just as delicious?
With a few simple ingredients, 5 minutes of hands-on time, and 10 minutes in the air fryer, you can have a show-stopper dessert or a special snack.
The best part, this recipe is totally healthy! They say “an apple a day keeps the doctor away!” I don’t see why air fryer baked apples wouldn’t qualify!
If you’re in the mood to make them really special, serve them with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream!
💗 Why you’ll love these Air Fryer Baked Apples
- Super simple and quick dessert!
- Only two main ingredients.
- Healthy and sugar-free (if you leave off the dairy-free ice cream)
- Only 10 minutes in the air fryer!
🥣 Ingredients and Notes
Apples: You can choose any apple that you like. Granny Smith’s are great for baking because they hold their shape, and have a tart flavor. However, Gala apples are sweeter and also make a delicious treat.
Cinnamon: A touch of ground cinnamon gives the flavor of baked apples.
Coconut Oil: Rub the outside of the apple with coconut oil to give them a crisp finish.
📋 Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 350 F. Slice two Granny Smith apples in half, and remove the core from each half.
Step 2: Rub each apple half with coconut oil over the top and the back. Sprinkle with coconut sugar and cinnamon.
Step 3: Place the apple halves in the air fryer basket. Set the temperature to 350 F. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the apples are soft.
Step 4: Remove the apples from the air fryer basket. Place each apple half on a plate. Top with one scoop of vanilla ice cream and a tablespoon of granola. Enjoy!
💭 Expert Tips
- Use aluminum foil to line the air fryer basket, this will keep them from sticking.
- Use a good “baking” apple such as a Granny Smith, or one of the varieties suggested below. They will hold up better in the oven. Softer apples such as gala or red delicious don’t work as well.
❓ Recipe FAQS
When looking for the best apples for baking, it’s important to use ones that are tart, sweet, and have firm, crisp flesh. Here are some of my favorites!
Golden Delicious-Mellow and sweet, this apple is crisp with tender golden skin.
Jonagold-A crunch, sweet and tart apple.
Honeycrisp-As the name suggests this type of apple is crisp, sweet, and juicy.
Braeburn-A sweet-tart flavor with a hint of spice!
Granny Smith-Crunchy and tart, these apples have a firm texture, great for baking!
Pink Lady-A unique sweet and tart flavor with a firm and crisp flesh.
Fuji-A crunchy, super sweet flavor. Great for this simple baked apple recipe.
Nutrition Facts: One baked apple is about 100 calories, 1 gram of protein, and 5 grams of protein. This is without added sugar.
Make your baked apples at home. This will ensure that there aren’t added preservatives or unnecessary sugars.
Nutrient Rich: Apples are high in vitamin C (14%), vitamin K (5%), and potassium (6%). In addition, they are high in fiber and a low-calorie snack.
Baked apples are filling! Because they are high in fiber, they keep you feeling fuller longer, and make a great go-to low-calorie snack!
There are a variety of recipes you can make with a bunch of apples. For example, you can make a big batch of applesauce, apple pie, apple crisp, baked apples, fried apples, apple chips, and so much more.
👩🏻🍳 How to Serve and Keep
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream! Top with crunchy granola or chopped nuts for added texture.
Store the air fryer baked apples in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. They taste best when enjoyed warm out of the air fryer!
📖 Variations and Substitutions
- No Cinnamon? Try pumpkin pie spice!
- Drizzle with vegan caramel sauce, maple syrup, or melted vegan butter.
- Top with chopped nuts.
- Add a hint of nutmeg.
- Top with a crunchy oats mixture (2 tablespoon melted vegan butter, ¼ all-purpose flour, ¼ rolled oats, 2 tablespoon of brown sugar, and ⅛ teaspoon of cinnamon.),
- If you don’t have ice cream, try topping it with coconut whipped cream!
- If you’re having difficulty getting the apples to open and bloom, thinly slice, transfer to a baking sheet in one even layer, sprinkle with cinnamon and bake for 20 minutes.
😋 More Apple Desserts!
If you made this recipe, please comment below and leave a ⭐️ rating. You can also follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more family-friendly vegan recipes!
Air Fryer Baked Apples
- 2 Granny Smith Apples or other type of baking apples
- 2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream vegan or regular optional
- 4 tablespoon granola
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 375 F. Slice two Granny Smith apples in half, and remove the core from each half.
- Rub each apple half with coconut oil over the top and the back. Sprinkle with coconut sugar and cinnamon.
- Place the apple halves in the air fryer basket. Set the temperature to 350 F. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the apples are soft.
- Remove the apples from the air fryer basket. Place each apple half on a plate. Top with one scoop of vanilla ice cream and a tablespoon of granola. Enjoy!
- Nutrition facts include vanilla ice cream.
- Use an apple core-er to help remove the inner core.
- Use aluminum foil to line your air fryer basket to keep the apples from sticking.
- Use a good “baking” apple such as Granny Smith. They will hold up better in the oven. Softer apples such as red delicious don’t work as well.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
so few ingredients yet so flavorful
Need to try this one asap. Love the combination of apples and coconut together, pinning this recipe to try for later.
Such a unique and a perfect dessert option. Nutritious and healthy and yum too. Love the Cinnamon flavors….
Oh yum!! I love using apples for dessert and the coconut ice cream and apples combo sounds absolutely delicious!! The pumpkin pie spice sounds awesome as an option if I can’t find my cinnamon. Thanks
Nart at Cooking with Nart
I tried this and it was a hit in our house. The apple, the cinnamon – YUM! Love that it’s just a few ingredients!