This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclaimer.
With a beautiful pink hue, and a rich and creamy foam, this beet latte is simple to make in 5 minutes or less, and is high in vitamins and nutrients!
It’s the first post of the new year! With the new year here, it’s usually the time many of us decide to make some healthy living resolutions. Maybe you hope to exercise more, get outdoors, eat more fruits and vegetables, or even connect with friends.
While I like the idea of resolutions, it can be a bit overwhelming. Especially when you make a long list of resolutions without a plan of executing them.
I also believe that the new year is not the only time to make a change for the better. Everyday is a new day, and you can start over and try again no matter what time of year.
Tips for Being Successful with Your New Years Resolution
If you have chosen to make a resolution this year, here are a few tips to help you find success!
- Choose just one resolution. I know it’s easy to want to do a total overhaul of your lifestyle when the new year hits, but choosing several lifestyle changes to implement at one time means that you will quickly become overwhelmed, and drop them all.
- Be specific with your resolution. Maybe you want to eat healthier in the new year. That’s very general. It’s difficult to follow through on something that is not extremely specific. Instead, if you want to eat healthier, maybe rephrase your resolution to be, “I will eat a fruit or vegetable with every meal.”
- Make a plan for how you are going to execute your resolution. Using the example above, if your resolution is to eat fruits or vegetables at every meal, you’re going to need to have fruits and vegetables at your disposal. Make a list of the fruits and vegetables you will buy at the store. Maybe even write a plan for the week of what fruit or vegetable you will eat with each meal. Having a specific plan will help you be successful.
- Start small. Change takes time. You can’t expect yourself to be able to exercise for 60 minutes a day if you haven’t exercised at all the past year. Take small steps to reach your ultimate goal. Using the vegetable example, maybe you start adding a vegetable at dinner, then lunch, and later adding a fruit to your breakfast.
- Get support. Having the support of someone else, whether that’s for accountability, or just someone to lean on when you feel discouraged or are struggling, will help you get through the difficult moments. Having an extra set of ears, or a bit of encouragement from someone other than yourself will help you stick to your goals. That person can be a spouse, friend, family member, or co-worker.
Whipping up a Beet Latte to Start the Year
So, what does all this resolution stuff have to do with this gorgeous beet latte? My resolution is to include more superfoods into my diet!
Beets are considered a superfood! Not too long ago I made this simple beetroot salad, but I don’t always have fresh beets on hand, so how do I get the health benefits in an easy to consume form? Beetroot powder!
Beets are high in potassium, magnesium, folate, and Vitamin C. They also are high in nitrates, fiber, and iron. They can lower blood pressure and improve digestion.
Although, beets are not for everyone! If you have low blood pressure, or are on blood pressure medication, consult with your doctor before making beets a regular staple in your diet.
Since I love to start my day with a warm cup of coffee, I thought the easiest way for me to introduce a superfood into my diet, is to start with a beetroot latte!
It’s already part of my routine, and all I need to do is add a touch of beetroot powder to my steamed milk.
One tablespoon of beetroot powder is only 35 calories, and has 4% of your daily iron, and 7% of your daily fiber, along with numerous vitamins and minerals.
It’s slightly sweet, a beautiful pink color, and quick and easy to pull together in less than 5 minutes!
Why you’ll love this Beet Latte recipe…
- Naturally sweetened
- Beautiful pink hue
- Full of vitamins and nutrients
- Easy and quick to make at home
- Frothy foam on the top
- Naturally vegan and gluten-free
- Rich and creamy texture
Recipe Ingredients and Notes
Beetroot Powder: You don’t actually need fresh beets to make this latte. Instead you need one tablespoon of beetroot powder. It is dark pink in color. There are many varieties on the market. Be sure to look for one that is organic and non-GMO.
Almond Milk: I prefer to use almond milk in this latte as it easily froths, and doesn’t have a strong flavor. I recommend using unsweetened almond milk to reduce the overall sugar.
Maple Syrup: Organic maple syrup gives this latte a touch of natural sweetness.
Vanilla Extract: A hint of vanilla brings out the natural flavor of the beets.
Espresso or Strong Coffee: I like to make my beet lattes a true latte, by including espresso or strong coffee. I go for decaf, personally, because I love the flavor of coffee but don’t want all the caffeine. You can choose to add your own drip coffee, espresso, or leave it out for just a frothy milk concoction!
Tools and Equipment
You don’t need any fancy coffee equipment for this drink. I typically warm my milk stovetop, and quickly whisk the almond milk when it warms to get a frothiness. However, if you’re more of a coffee connoisseur, you may prefer to use your own specialty coffee equipment as listed below.
- Espresso Machine (optional)
- Milk Frother (optional)
- Milk Frothing Jug (optional)
- Tamper (optional)
- Your Favorite Coffee Maker
How to Make a Beet Latte – Step by Step
Step 1: Heat almond milk in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Step 2: When milk is warm, add the beetroot powder, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Whisk in quick strokes until milk creates a frothy foam. If you prefer, you can transfer the milk to a blender, and blend for about 20-30 seconds. This will create a nice foam.
Step 3: Pour coffee into two mugs. Top with milk. Scoop foam and place on top of the latte.
Step 4: Sprinkle with cinnamon, and beetroot powder.
Top Tips for Making a Beet Latte
- Heat the milk on medium-low. Many a times I have walked away from almond milk, only to find it bubbling over the pan. Stay close while you’re heating the milk, and keep the heat medium low so you don’t make a mess!
- To get a nice frothy foam from whisking, use short quick movements with your whisk. If you need more foam, just keep whisking.
- If you prefer not to put a lot of elbow grease into making your foam, you can use a frothing wand, or transfer the milk to a blender. Blend for 20- 30 seconds. It will create a quick foam in no time!
- For added flavor, top your latte with a sprinkle of warm cinnamon, and a pinch of beetroot powder!
Some beet lattes have caffeine if they are made with espresso or coffee. You can choose to reduce the caffeine by using decaf coffee, or leaving the coffee out all together.
Beetroot powder is full of vitamins and nutrients. It is low in calories, while high in nutrients. It is a simple way to get a boost of nutrition in the morning. This particular recipe is also low in sugar. Be careful of other recipes that may use artificial sweeteners, processed ingredients, or high sugar milks.
A beet latte certainly has the flavor of beets, which are naturally sweet and earthy. The latte when combined with milk and coffee has a warm, subtly sweet taste.
How to choose a beetroot powder?
There are a wide variety of beetroot powders to choose from. When looking for a healthy powder that’s right for you here are a few things to consider…
- Organic-Look for a powder that uses organic beets. This will reduce your exposure to pesticides.
- Non-GMO-When possible, it’s always best to purchase foods that are non-GMO. This means that the ingredients have not been genetically modified, and are all natural.
- No Added Sugar-When it comes to powders, stay away from those that have added sugars such as stevia. It is unknown the effects of stevia longterm, so at this time, I suggest avoiding it if possible.
- One Ingredient-There should only be one ingredient in your beetroot powder, and that is natural organic beets.
When it comes to choosing a beetroot powder, keep it simple and natural!
Check out these other healthy vegan latte recipes!
If you’ve tried this beet latte, please rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest for more plant-based family recipes your whole family will enjoy!
Beet Latte Recipe
- 1 tbsp beetroot powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 shots of espresso or 1/2 cup of strong coffee
- Heat almond milk in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- When milk is warm, add the beetroot powder, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Whisk in quick strokes until milk creates a frothy foam. If you prefer, you can transfer the milk to a blender. Blend on medium. This will create a nice foam.
- Pour coffee into two mugs. Top with milk. Scoop foam and place on top of the latte.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, and beetroot powder.