Healthy, warm, subtly sweet, a hint of spice, and a frothy foam, make this vegan Golden Turmeric Latte the perfect drink to warm up with.
My husband is not a coffee drinker. Whereas I’m all about the coffee, but don’t want the caffeine! I’ve always had a thing for the flavor of coffee but caffeine and I don’t get along, so it’s decaf for me.
When my husband came back from a work breakfast a while back he raved about the turmeric latte he ordered.
I love using turmeric in cooking, but I have to admit I had never had a turmeric latte, sometimes called a golden latte, or golden milk.
I decided to give it a try and in about 5 minutes time I had beautiful golden cup of goodness. No caffeine, no refined sugar, dairy-free, and full of nutrients.
I think this Golden Turmeric Latte just might replace my decaf Americano!
What is a golden milk latte?
A golden milk latte is a warm drink made with milk, turmeric, other spices, and often a sweetener. Some golden milk recipes include coconut oil, black pepper, cinnamon, and ginger.
In my recipe I eliminate the coconut oil and pepper and use cardamom instead of cinnamon and ginger. I just love the flavor of cardamom and it pairs so well with turmeric in a golden milk latte.
Why You’ll Love this Vegan Golden Turmeric Latte…
- No caffeine which makes for a perfect evening drink!
- 4 simple ingredients
- 5 minutes start to finish
- Warm and comforting
- Sweet and spicy
- Full of the health benefits of turmeric
Ingredients You’ll Need
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or dairy-free milk of choice)
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ⅛ tsp cardamom
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup (optional)
Tools You’ll Need
To get a nice frothy finish use a hand frother, or transfer to a small single serve blender, and blend on high for a few seconds to get the same frothy texture. If using a blender place a paper towel on top of the lid before blending, as even when the lid is on, some of the liquid has a tendency to escape. Turmeric leaves a yellow stain on anything that it gets on so be careful!
How to Make a Golden Turmeric Latte – Step by Step
Step 1: Heat 1 cup of almond milk in a saucepan over medium heat until simmering but not boiling.
Step 2: Add turmeric, cardamom, and maple syrup. Whisk to combine.
Step 3: Use a handheld frother to create a frothy foam. Or pour into a blender, tightly fitted with a lid, and firmly hold while you blend until frothy foam forms.
Step 4: Pour into mug and enjoy!
Tips for Making Golden Turmeric Lattes
- To get the nice frothy foam we all love with our lattes, use a frother wand. If you don’t have one you can also transfer to a blender and blend for 5-10 seconds to create a nice foam.
- When heating your milk do not boil, bring to a low simmer on medium high heat, then add turmeric and spices. You don’t want to burn or scorch your milk.
- Adjust the spice to your liking. A little turmeric goes a long way. I find ½ a tsp per serving is the perfect amount, but feel free to decrease or increase the amount slightly.
- Cardamom gives an earthy sweet and spicy flavor. Decrease the amount of cardamom if it’s too spicy or sub for cinnamon if you don’t have it.
- For the full health benefits of turmeric add a little black pepper to your latte. Black pepper helps with absorption of curcumin (the active ingredient in turmeric) that is associated with its many health benefits.
What are the health benefits of a Golden Turmeric Latte?
- Anti-Inflammatory– Curcurmin is the ingredient in turmeric that gives it many of its health benefits. Inflammation is associated with many chronic conditions such as heart disease, cancer, Alzheimers, and metabolic syndrome. Curcurmin in turmeric fights chronic inflammation.
- Increases Antioxidant Enzymes– One of the known causes of aging and many diseases is oxidative damage caused by free radicals. Curcurmin neautralizes free radicals, and also helps your body create its own antioxidant enzymes.
- Improves Brain Function–Boosts the brain hormone BDNF which increases brain neurons.
- Lowers Risk of Heart Disease– It’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties play a role in reducing risk of heart disease. Studies have associated endothelial dysfunction to heart disease, and curcurmin improves endothelial function.
What pairs well with Golden Turmeric Lattes?
Enjoy your healthy warm drink with your breakfast. Pair with avocado or peanut butter toast. Or have it all on it’s own, as it’s a comforting warm drink that doesn’t need any extras!
Can you drink Golden Turmeric Lattes everyday?
I don’t see why not! Turmeric is a healthy drink alternative to other warm drinks such as coffee. Although if you’re looking for something with caffeine, this is not the drink for you. But is could be added into your daily warm drink rotation. To really make this a healthy drink reduce or eliminate the maple syrup for a sugar free alternative.
Check-Out these other Warm Vegan Drinks Ideas!
If you’ve tried my Golden Turmeric Latte, please rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest for more plant-based family recipes your whole family will enjoy!
Vegan Golden Turmeric Latte
- 1 cup almond milk unsweetened or dairy free milk of choice
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ⅛ tsp cardamom
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Heat 1 cup of almond milk in a saucepan over medium heat until simmering but not boiling.
- Add turmeric, cardamom, and maple syrup. Whisk to combine.
- Use a handheld frother to create a frothy foam. Or pour into blender, tightly fit lid. Place paper towel over lid, and firmly hold while you blend until frothy foam forms.
- Pour into mug and enjoy!
- Use a frothing wand or blender to create foam.
- Do not bring milk to boil. Bring to a low simmer, then remove from heat.
- Adjust the spices to your liking. A little turmeric goes a long way.
- Sub cinnamon if you don’t have cardamom.