Air fryer waffle fries are simple to prepare and family-friendly! It only takes about 10 minutes to turn frozen waffle fries into a crunchy, crispy, delightfully delicious side dish or snack every single time!
There’s something special about waffle fries. They are not as expected as other types of fries. When our family goes out to eat, and my kids find waffle fries on the menu, they must have them! Any French fries, my kids and husband are all about! But curly fries and waffle fries make them giddy!
Air fryer frozen waffle fries taste way better than the ones you’ll find at fast food restaurants! The best thing about this method is that you can also use this recipe with homemade waffle fries.
This recipe is super easy! No need for a baking sheet, vegetable oil, or anything fancy! All you need is your favorite air fryer and frozen waffle fries! You can also use this recipe to make frozen sweet potato fries!
💗 Why You’ll Love this Air Fryer Recipe
- Quick and Easy
- Simple Cooking Method
- No Need to Heat the Oven
- Crispy and Crunchy
- No Extra Oil Needed
- Healthier than Frying
- Great Side Dish
🥣 Ingredients and Notes
Frozen Waffle Fries: I used the Alexia brand of waffle fries. A whole bag is about one pound. I like this brand because they are non-GMO and vegan friendly. These fries are already seasoned with garlic powder and onion powder so you don’t need to add any extra flavor unless you want to. You can find this brand at your local grocery store.
Notes: Different types of waffle fries cook at various speeds, so you may need to adjust the cooking time slightly. All frozen waffle fries come in slightly different sizes and thicknesses. In addition, the type of air fryer you use, as well as the size of the air fryer, will affect the time. Smaller air fryers may need more time, whereas larger air fryers may need less time. The timing also depends on the model of your air fryer. Some run hotter than others. The great thing about this recipe is that you can easily adjust your time. I recommend starting at a lower time, checking on the doneness of your fries, and cooking for an additional time if necessary. That way, you don’t end up with burnt fries!
👩🏻🍳 How to Make Air Fryer Waffle Fries
- Add the waffle fries to the air fryer basket in an even layer. They don’t have to be in a single layer, but you don’t want to overcrowd the basket. For smaller air fryers (5 quarts or less), add no more than half a one-pound bag of fries at a time. For larger air fryers, you can add more.
- Turn your air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Turn the time to 10 minutes. Bake for 5 minutes, shake the basket, return it to the air fryer, and bake for 5 minutes. When you shake the basket halfway through, you’ll get an idea if you need more or less time to cook your waffle fries evenly. You can shake your basket multiple times to ensure your fries are evenly cooked.
- Place on a layer of paper towels to absorb excess oil. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or season with salt and black pepper. Enjoy!
No, you don’t need to add cooking spray to these fries. It’s best not to use cooking spray with your air fryer because it can damage the inside coating of your air fryer. Avoid using cooking sprays with your air fryer recipes, and instead, opt for a regular oil such as olive oil.
No, you don’t need to toss the waffle fries in any oil. They are good to go right out of the bag. They will not stick together and will crisp up nicely. Adding too much oil to the fries can cause them to be a bit on the soggy side.
I recommend starting with 10 minutes. Toss at the 5-minute mark. Determine if you need more or less time to finish the cooking process. If the waffle fries are not starting to crisp and brown around the edges, you’ll likely need to add 2-3 minutes. If your waffle fries look crispy, you may only need to cook them for 8-9 minutes.
Yes! I recommend tossing waffle fries in the air fryer basket halfway through cooking time at about the 5-minute mark. Some air fryers have timers you can set to remind you to toss. This helps to cook the fries evenly on all sides.
📝 Expert Tips
- For best results, do not thaw the fries before air frying.
- Shake the fries halfway through cooking time at about 5 minutes.
- Adjust the time based on the size of your air fryer and your model. Always refer to your owner’s manual for the best estimate of time.
- If you are cooking several batches or your air fryer is preheated, you will likely need less time for the fries to cook as the air fryer will already be warm.
- Use high-quality frozen waffle fries such as the Alexia brand. They are pre-seasoned, don’t need anything added, and are non-GMO!
- Use aluminum foil in your air fryer for easy clean-up.
🍽 How to Serve
If you’re looking for some interesting dipping sauces, give thise a try:
- Vegan Honey Mustard
- Vegan Buffalo Suace
- Cashew Pesto
- Vegan Tahini Dressing
- Vegan Gravy
- Vegan Chipotle Sauce
- Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Vegan Sour Cream
How to Store and Keep
If you have waffle-cut fries left over, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I recommend only making enough that you want to eat because these taste best cooked frozen and don’t reheat. However, if you have leftovers, don’t let them go to waste! You can reheat them from the refrigerator in the air fryer for about 5 minutes to crisp them back up.
⚖️ Serving Size
A one pound bag of frozen waffle fries has about 6 servings.
😋 More Air Fryer Potato Recipes!
Air Fryer Waffle Fries
- Add the waffle fries to the air fryer basket. Spread them out evenly. They don't have to be in a single layer, but you also don't want to overcrowd the basket. For smaller air fryers (5 quarts or less), add no more than 1 pound of fries. For larger air fryers you can add more.
- Turn your air fryer to 400°F. Turn the time to 10 minutes. Bake for 5 minutes, then shake the basket, return it to the air fryer, and bake for an additional 5 minutes. When you shake the basket half way through you'll get an idea if you need more or less time to cook your waffle fries evenly. If necessary, you can shake your basket multiple times to ensure your fries are evenly cooked.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, or season with salt and pepper if you prefer. Enjoy!
- Do not thaw the fries prior to air frying.
- Shake the fries half way through cooking time at about 5 minutes.
- Adjust the time based on the size of your air fryer and your model. Always refer to your owners manual for best estimate of time.
- If you are cooking several batches, or your air fryer is preheated then you will likely need less time for the fries to cook.
- Use high quality frozen waffle fries such as the Alexia brand. They are pre-seasoned, don’t need anything added, and are non-GMO!