This fluffy and moist vegan lemon loaf is like taking a bite of summer! Topped with a simple glaze infused with fresh lemon juice, it makes the perfect dessert or snack!
It has been cold and dreary with gray skies for the entire week! It’s the middle of February, so it’s expected, but it doesn’t make it any easier!
I’ve been day dreaming about taking a trip to Hawaii. We of course have absolutely no plans to take a trip to Hawaii. But nevertheless, it’s helping me get through these dark winter days.
I find February the most challenging month of winter. We’re past the novelty of snow and cold that comes around the holidays, we’ve made it through the long month of January, but then February hits, and winter has no plans of going anywhere.
When my oldest was a toddler, and my youngest wasn’t born, we would take a week long vacation somewhere warm to break up the monotony of winter.
One year we took a trip to Punta Cana, and two years in a row we went to San Diego. It was a much needed reprieve.
But now that we’ve got two boys, the oldest is in school, and we no longer have the luxury of a winter break, I have to gather some sunshine without taking a trip on an airplane!
This vegan lemon loaf is a bright spot on a dark and dreary winter day. It’s got tons of tart lemon flavor, topped with an optional lemon sugar glaze. It’s like taking a walk through a lemon grove!
I can almost feel the sunshine in each and every bite!
Why you’ll love this Vegan Lemon Loaf…
- Simple Ingredients
- Quick and easy method
- Bursting with lemon flavor
- Moist and fluffy crumb
- Vegan Plant-Based Dessert and Dairy-Free
Recipe Ingredients and Notes
Lemons: You’ll need 2-3 lemons for this lemon loaf. You’ll use the juice and the zest of the lemons. When choosing your lemons from the store, choose a lemon that feels heavy in your hand. This means it’s juicy! It should also be firm when you give it a squeeze, while the color should be a bright yellow.
Dairy-Free Yogurt: This gives the loaf additional moisture. Be sure to get plain unsweetened dairy-free yogurt. I usually get SoDelicious which is made from a coconut milk base.
Unsweetened Applesauce: Instead of oil, I used unsweetened applesauce for this recipe. You can use the same amount of unrefined coconut oil if you do not have applesauce.
Sugar: This recipe calls for organic cane sugar. Get organic to ensure that your sugar is vegan. You can also use coconut sugar, but this will make your lemon loaf a brown color. So if you want that bright yellow look, use organic cane sugar.
Tools and Equipment
9x 5 Loaf Pan: I recommend using a 9×5 loaf pan for this recipe. You’ll need to line it with parchment paper so that it easily releases from the pan.
Mixing Bowls: You’ll need a large mixing bowl to combine the dry ingredients, a medium bowl to combine the wet ingredients, and a small bowl to make the glaze.
Whisk to combine the wet ingredients.
Lemon Zester and Lemon Squeezer: While a lemon squeezer is not necessary, it does help get out more of the juice from the lemons. It also prevents seeds from getting into the juice. A lemon zester, however, is important to have. A lot of the lemon flavor comes from the zest.
How to Make Vegan Lemon Loaf – Step by Step
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 F. Line loaf pan with parchment paper. Whisk together the wet ingredients in a medium size bowl.
Step 2: In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
Step 3: Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Fold together until just combined. Don’t over mix.
Step 4: Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until golden brown.
Step 5: Remove the loaf pan from the oven, and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove the loaf from the pan and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.
Step 6: While the loaf cools, prepare the icing. Whisk together the powdered sugar, plant milk, and lemon juice.
Step 7: When loaf is cool evenly pour the icing over top. Allow the icing to harden, before slicing and serving!
Top Tips for Making Vegan Lemon Loaf
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients, and slowly fold together until just combined.
- The batter may be a little lumpy. That’s okay! Over mixing the batter will cause the loaf to be tough.
- Make sure the loaf is completely cooled before adding the glaze. If it’s a little warm, the glaze will run right off the loaf, and soak into it. It will still taste good, but you won’t get that glazed top look.
Substitutions and Variations
Gluten-Free: If you’re looking for a gluten-free version of this recipe, simply substitute the all-purpose flour for gluten-free 1:1 flour. I like the King Arthur Gluten-Free 1:1 blend.
Refined Sugar Free: If you’d like to make this recipe refined sugar free, substitute the cane sugar for coconut sugar. As mentioned above, it will change the color of your loaf.
No Dairy-Free Yogurt: You can use silken tofu instead.
No Applesauce: Use a quarter cup of coconut oil, melted, but cooled.
How to Store and Keep
Store: Cover the loaf with saran wrap, and then wrap in aluminum foil. This will help lock the moisture into the cake. You do not need to refrigerate the loaf. Keep in a cool dry place on your kitchen counter.
Keep: This loaf will keep for 3-5 days at room temperature. It may dry out the longer it’s kept out.
How to Serve
I enjoy serving this lemon loaf for dessert with a cup of warm herbal tea. However, I’ve been known to sneak a slice for breakfast with my morning coffee.
The kids like to have half a slice as a mid-afternoon snack.
You really can’t go wrong, however you like to enjoy it!
Check out these other vegan quick bread recipes!
- 20 Vegan Muffin Recipes
- Vegan Banana Bread
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- Vegan Gingerbread Loaf
- Gluten-Free Vegan Cornbread
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and let me know how it turned out. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest for more plant-based family recipes your whole family will enjoy!
Vegan Lemon Loaf
- 2 cups all purpose flour or white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup plain dairy-free yogurt
- 3/4 cup sugar or coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or other plant milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest about 1-2 lemons
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp almond milk or other plant milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients in a medium size bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Fold together until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the loaf pan from the oven, and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the loaf cools, prepare the icing. Whisk together the powdered sugar, plant milk, and lemon juice.
- When loaf is cool evenly pour the icing over top. Allow the icing to harden, before slicing and serving!