This simple vegan lemon curd is so easy to make! It’s sweet and tangy, and is the perfect spread for tea time, or anytime. Use on toast, vegan biscuits, scones, or your favorite baked goods! With 5 simple ingredients and 10 minutes, you’ll have a sweet treat!
While in England I tried many new foods, but I’d say my favorite discovery was afternoon tea paired with biscuits and lemon curd!
The soft buttery biscuits paired with sweet and tangy lemon curd is the perfect combination. It’s such a refreshing and luxurious afternoon snack. This simple and quick delicious vegan lemon curd is amazing drizzled on my Eggless Orange Cake, enjoyed with Vegan Fruit Cake, or used in my Vegan Lemon Meringue Pie. It’s an eggless lemon curd that nobody would ever know is vegan!
💗 Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and Easy
- 5 simple ingredients
- 10 minutes to prepare
- Dairy Free
- Tangy Spread
- Natural colors
- The perfect balance of sweet and tangy
- Thick and Creamy
🥣 Ingredients and Notes
Scroll to the recipe card for complete list of ingredients and exact measurements.
Lemons: You’ll need fresh lemon juice from three to four lemons, and lemon zest from two. This results in a super tangy lemon-flavored curd.
Almond Milk: Use unsweetened unflavored almond milk for best results. If you prefer you could also use coconut cream or coconut milk, but it will have a slight coconut undertone.
Organic Cane Sugar: I prefer to use organic cane sugar because some white sugars are made with bone char, whereas organic sugars are always vegan. Using coconut sugar or maple syrup can result in a discolored curd, and I prefer a bright yellow appearance.
Corn starch: The corn starch helps to create a thick curd and is also gluten-free.
Turmeric: While there is a lot of lemon juice and lemon zest, the color of the curd is not bright yellow unless you add a pinch of turmeric. It doesn’t change the flavor in any way, but is a healthy natural food coloring.
📋 Step by Step Instructions
Step 2: Add the almond milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, corn starch, and turmeric to a small saucepan over medium heat.
Step 3: Whisk constantly until it begins to thicken and bubble. Remove from the heat.
Step 4: Pour into a jar right away. It will thicken immediately. Refrigerate to cool the curd.
Store in an airtight glass container (I prefer a mason jar), and keep in the refrigerator. It will be good for up to 5 days.
I don’t recommend changing the amount of sugar or using a different sweetener as this will change the structure, consistency and some sweetener options may change the color of the vegan curd.
It is made with sugar, so it is not considered a health food! It’s a dessert. However, it is healthier than other versions as it uses natural ingredients, and fresh lemons.
Traditionally lemon curd is made with egg yolks, sugar, butter, lemon zest, and lemon juice. This vegan version is just as thick, creamy, sweet, and tangy, without the need for an egg or vegan butter!
👩🍳 Serving Suggestions
The ideas to serve this delicious vegan curd on or with can be endless. Here are some of my favorite ways to enjoy lemon curd:
This recipe tastes amazing with biscuits, scones, or toast. But you can also use it to create a lemon pie or lemon tart, or add it to your cupcakes or cakes as a filling! There are so many delicious recipes you can create with it!
Put your vegan lemon curd leftovers in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. Properly stored, this will last about 4 weeks in the refrigerator.
You can also freeze your curd in freezer-safe containers for 3-4 months.
Remove your frozen curd from the freezer and let thaw overnight in the fridge before enjoying. It may need to thaw up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
💭 Expert Tips
- I recommend using fresh Meyer lemons for the juice and lemon zest for the best flavor.
- Allow the lemon curd to come to room temperature after cooking. Then transfer to the refrigerator to cool.
- Keep the heat on medium. Don’t turn it up too high. Allow the sugar, corn starch, and juices to dissolve and thicken gradually.
- Use a whisk to keep the vegan lemon curd from becoming lumpy.
- This is a thicker curd. For a more lemon sauce consistency reduce the corn starch to 2 tablespoons.
- If you don’t have fresh lemons, you can use lemon extract and pre-squeezed lemon juice.
- Arrowroot starch can be substituted for corn starch.
- If you don’t like as much lemon flavor reduce the amount of lemon zest to 1 tablespoon.
😋 More Vegan Lemon Desserts!
Vegan Lemon Curd Recipe
- Zest three lemons, and juice 5 lemons. Place lemon juice through a metal strainer to remove seeds, and pulp.
- Add the almond milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, corn starch, and turmeric to a small to medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk constantly until it begins to thicken and bubble. Remove from heat.
- Pour into a jar. It will thicken immediately. Allow to cool.
- Recipe will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- I don’t recommend substituting the sugar for coconut sugar or maple syrup. This will discolor the curd, and also have an effect on the structure and consistency.