This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
These vegan cornbread muffins require only 3 ingredients, and take 5 minutes of hands on time! Using a boxed cornbread mix, a flax egg, and almond milk, you’ll have easy muffins in minutes!
I grew up in southeast Michigan not far from the small town of Chelsea. Chelsea is known the home to the “Jiffy” mix factory.
Jiffy began in 1901 as a flour mill, but in 1930 it expanded and began producing baking mixes.
Arguably, their most well known mix is for their corn muffins.
Growing up we always had a pantry full of Jiffy baking mixes.
When I became a vegetarian as a teenager I discovered their traditional cornbread mix was not vegetarian. I was crushed!
Then not too long ago, Jiffy came up with a vegetarian version.
My life was saved! However, as written the vegetarian mix calls for an egg and milk to be added.
I did some experimenting, and turned this vegetarian friendly mix into vegan muffins!
You can find “Jiffy” cornbread mixes in the baking aisle of your supermarket. Be sure to grab the one that says “Vegetarian” in green across the top!
If you’re looking for a homemade version, give my vegan gluten-free cornbread a try!
Why you’ll love these easy vegan cornbread muffins…
- Only 3 simple ingredients
- 5 minutes of hands on time
- Added fiber with the addition of flax
- An easy snack, breakfast, or side with a main meal!
- 1 box Jiffy Vegetarian Cornbread Mix
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon of flax and 2.5 tablespoons of water)
- 1/3 cup almond milk
Tools and Equipment
How to Make Vegan Cornbread Muffins – Step by Step
Step 1: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine 1 tablespoon of ground flax with 2.5 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Whisk together. Set to the side, and allow to sit for 3-5 minutes.
Step 2: Combine cornbread mix, almond milk, and flax egg. Stir until combined. Do not over mix. Batter may be lumpy.
Step 3: Line muffin tin with muffin liners. Scoop batter into muffin liners, filling 2/3 of the way full.
Step 4: Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. I found 18 minutes to be the perfect amount of time for my muffins. Allow to cool, or enjoy warm!
Top Tips for Making Vegan Cornbread Muffins
- Jiffy boxes are small. Depending on the size of your muffin cups you will get 6-8 muffins from one box. I used two boxes to make 12 muffins.
- Using the flax egg will create little brown flecks in the muffins.
- If you don’t have flax you can make a chia egg using 1 tablespoon of ground chia, and 1/4 cup of warm water.
- If you don’t have almond milk you can use another type of unsweetened dairy-free milk such as soy, cashew, or oat milk.
- Don’t over mix the batter. It might seem a little lumpy. That’s okay!
- Bake until golden brown on top.
Cornbread muffins pair well with soups, and chilis. They also make a simple snack or breakfast!
Serve with a pat of vegan butter or a touch of jam!
I’ve also made these muffins to make my vegan cornbread stuffing for Thanksgiving.
How to Store and Keep
Store at room temperature. Cover with a loose fitting lid. Muffins will keep for 3-4 days.
If you’d like to use these muffins for stuffing, allow them to sit out for a day or two to dry out.
Check out these other simple vegan muffin and quick bread recipes!
- Vegan Zucchini Muffins
- Banana Carrot Muffins
- Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
- Dairy Free Banana Bread
- Vegan Gingerbread Loaf
If you’ve tried these easy vegan cornbread muffins, please rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest for more plant-based family recipes your whole family will enjoy!
Vegan Cornbread Muffins
- 1 box Jiffy Vegetarian Cornbread Mix
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 2.5 tbsp water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine 1 tablespoon of ground flax with 2.5 tablespoons of water in small bowl. Whisk together. Set to the side, and allow to sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Combine cornbread mix, almond milk, and flax egg. Stir until combined. Do not over mix. Batter may be lumpy.
- Line muffin tin with muffin liners. Scoop batter into muffin liners, filling 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. I found 18 minutes to be the perfect amount of time for my muffins. Allow to cool, or enjoy warm!
- Store at room temperature. Cover loosely. Muffins will keep for 3-4 days.