This Chocolate Smoothie Bowl is made with all natural vegan ingredients, and topped with sliced banana, chocolate shavings, nuts, and chia seeds making it a healthy yet decadent sugar free breakfast, snack or dessert!
I always feel pressed for time on weekday mornings.
How about you?
Even in the summer when things are not as busy as the school year, it still feels like there’s somewhere we’ve got to be.
Most summers it’s swim and tennis practice, which means I’m packing up fresh towels, goggles, a change of clothes, snacks, water bottles, tennis rackets, sunscreen, the wagon, and of course sand toys for the little one!
Plant-Based Smoothies become my go to healthy breakfast option! I love making my broccoli smoothie when I’m in the mood for something green! It’s packed with vitamins, nutrients, protein, and it doesn’t hurt that it also tastes delicious!
But sometimes I’m in the mood for something with chocolate! My coconut milkshake topped with chocolate shavings does it for me, but this bowl is packed with chocolate flavor from start to finish!
When I have a few moments before dashing out the door with what seems like enough stuff for a one week vacation, I revel in a few moments of peace when I get to enjoy my smoothie.
This Chocolate Smoothie bowl is for those days when I have an extra five minutes to actually sit down and eat something with a spoon!
I can even make it the night before, then throw on my favorite toppings for a bowl full of chocolate morning deliciousness!
If I don’t have that luxury of time, then I can always pour it in a cup and take it with me on the go!
If you enjoy sneaking in some chocolate in the morning with a healthy breakfast try this Brownie Oatmeal too!
Why You’ll Love this Chocolate Smoothie Bowl…
- Creamy and decadent
- 4 simple ingredients
- Whole food plant-based
- Naturally gluten-free
- 5 minutes to make
- Refined sugar free
- Packed with vitamins, nutrients, and protein!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Unsweetened Coconut Milk Yogurt-You can use any unsweetened dairy free yogurt including soy or almond.
- Frozen banana-This gives the smoothie a thicker texture.
- Cacao powder-A superfood full of antioxidants that makes this rich and chocolatey!
- Chia seeds-When blended the chia seeds create a pudding like texture.
- Sliced Banana, Chocolate Shavings, Chopped Nuts, and Chia Seeds (for the toppings)
Tools and Equipment You’ll Need
High Speed Blender-If you don’t have a speed blender, no worries! Use a stand blender of food processor. You may need to stop and stir to make sure all the ingredients combine.
How to Make a Chocolate Smoothie Bowl – Step by Step
Step 1: Add coconut milk yogurt, frozen banana (cut into chunks), cacao powder, and chia seeds to blender.
Step 2: Blend until smooth and creamy and all ingredients have been combined.
Step 3: Pour into bowl. Garnish with banana slices, chocolate shavings, chopped nuts, and chia seeds or your toppings of choice!
Top Tips for Making the Perfect Chocolate Smoothie Bowl
- Use frozen banana cut into chunks for the smoothie, and unfrozen banana to garnish on top of the bowl.
- Be sure you blend until chia seeds are completely combined.
- Make in advance for an easy breakfast.
- Double or triple the recipe to make more than one serving.
How to Serve and Keep
If you have the time, serve in a bowl with your favorite toppings. You can be as creative as you like, and use the items you already have on hand!
- Coconut shavings
- Chopped pecans, walnuts, or cashews
- Chia or flax seeds for added fiber and omega-3s
- Fresh fruit such as strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries
- Chocolate chips, or chocolate shavings
- A swirl of nut butter
Making it in advance? I’ve made this smoothie bowl the night before, transferred to a bowl and covered with plastic wrap. The next morning I throw on my favorite toppings, and it’s just as good as if I made it fresh!
Check out these other vegan smoothie recipes!
- Mango Banana Smoothie
- Spinach Apple Smoothie
- Coconut Smoothie
- Spinach Blueberry Smoothie
- Vegan Pumpkin Smoothie
- Strawberry Smoothie by Vegan in the Freezer
If you’ve tried this Chocolate Smoothie Bowl, please rate the recipe and let me know how they turned out. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest for more vegan plant-based family recipes your whole family will enjoy!
Chocolate Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup coconut milk yogurt unsweetened
- 1 frozen banana cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- ½ banana sliced
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate shavings
- 1 tablespoon chopped peanuts or other nut
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- Add coconut milk yogurt, frozen banana (cut into chunks), cacao powder, and chia seeds to blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy and all ingredients have been combined.
- Pour into bowl. Garnish with banana slices, chocolate shavings, chopped nuts, and chia seeds.
- Nutrition facts calculated without toppings.
- If making in advance, combine ingredients in blender, transfer to bowl, cover, and put topping on the next morning.
OMG that looks like a gorgeous decadent dessert! LOVE that is actually good for you!
Yum!! This chocolate smoothie bowl is screaming my name, I can’t wait to try this recipe out!
I love having this smoothie bowl for breakfast. It’s healthy, satisfying, and keeps me full all morning. I love that it tastes like dessert but it’s actually good for me.
Smoothie bowls are my new obsession and this one does not disappoint. love the little crunch from the chia topping.
This smoothie was bowl was the perfect chocolate treat! Loved the texture of it and the toppings added just the right amount of texture and flavors.