A simple and high-protein 10-minute chickpea curry salad with a balance of sweet and savory elements. Crunchy apples and sweet plump raisins are paired with celery and red onion in a creamy vegan curry dressing.
It is the middle of summer, and I’m loving the laid-back vibe! The days are HOT, and the sun is shining bright! But the best part of summer for me is all of the fresh produce! I’ve made my refreshing Mediterranean cucumber salad earlier this week, and today I’m bringing to you a chickpea salad perfect as a light lunch!
I devoured it for lunch, and immediately got to thinking how I could recreate it at home! So here is my take on a simple chickpea curry salad with a vegan curry dressing that’s full of healthy protein, vitamins, minerals, and fiber, packaged in a low-calorie meal that packs a punch of flavor!
Why This Recipe Works
- Quick and Easy (Ready in 10 Minutes!)
- High in Protein
- Healthy Salad
- Delicious Meal
- Easy Recipe
- A simple meal prep recipe!
- One of the easiest lunch recipes to make on the weekday!
- Makes 6 large portions, or 8 small portions.
Tools and Equipment
- Mixing bowls for combining the ingredients.
- Spatula for tossing everything together.
- Cutting board and chopping knife for preparing the apples, onions, and celery.
Ingredients and Recipe Notes
Chickpeas: Also known as garbanzo beans. You can use canned or dried chickpeas. If you choose to use dried, you’ll need to soak and cook them first. I used canned to save time.
Apple: One large apple of your choice. I used a gala apple because that was what I had on hand. Gala apples are sweet and crisp.
Celery: Adds a nice crunch to the salad, and a mild flavor that pairs well with the sweet elements of the apple and raisins, and the spiciness of the red onion.
Raisins: Use plump sweet raisins for a touch of added sweetness. You could also use dried cranberries if your prefer.
Red Onion: Finely chop your red onion. Use more or less depending on how much of an added bite you like to your salad.
Dairy-Free Plain Yogurt: I prefer to use a dairy-free yogurt to create a creamy dressing rather than vegan mayo. I used plain unsweetened coconut milk yogurt that pairs perfectly with curry powder. Coconut yogurt provides healthy fats too!
Garlic: Finely mince one clove of garlic. Add to the yogurt to create the curry dressing.
Curry Powder: I used about 1 teaspoon of yellow curry powder. I think it adds just enough flavor, but if you’d like a milder curry flavor, you can use half a teaspoon.
Salt and Black Pepper to taste. Added to the dressing.
Prepare the Vegan Curry Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk yogurt, minced garlic, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
Prepare the Chickpea Curry Salad: Finely dice the apple, two stalks of celery, and red onion. Drain and rinse one 15 ounce can of chickpeas.
Combine Chickpeas, Fruit and Veggies: In a medium bowl, add the chickpeas, celery, onion, diced apple, and raisins. Pour the dressing overtop. Mix well with a spatula.
Good Source of Plant Protein: Our bodies need protein to build muscle, strengthen our bones, and repair cells and tissues. It is an essential building block for numerous body functions. When you are vegan it is important to add beans and legumes to your diet to get this essential nutrient. Chickpeas are an excellent source of protein. One cup of cooked chickpeas contains 15 grams of protein! This particular recipe has 7 grams of protein per serving.
Rich in Vitamins and Nutrients: Chickpeas are rich in potassium, B vitamins, iron, magnesium, and selenium all of which contribute to a healthy heart. Apples contain vitamin C, antioxidants, and potassium. Red onions are rich in antioxidants, manganese, and vitamin B6, which fight inflammation and help boost the immune system.
High in Fiber: Not only are chickpeas rich in protein, and vitamins, but they are also an excellent source of fiber. Fiber is essential for healthy digestion. It also helps you feel fuller longer, decreasing the amount of food you need to feel satisfied.
Low in Calories and Fat: One serving of this salad has only 172 calories and 2 grams of fat! It’s a filling meal!
Store leftovers in an airtight container. It will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Enjoy this salad on it’s own. Or serve on top of greens with chopped red bell pepper, tomatoes, cucumbers and other vegetables. Another option is to use a potato masher to mash the chickpeas in a large bowl, and serve inside of a wrap or as a chickpea salad sandwich with fresh crisp lettuce and tomato between whole grain bread! Or make your own lettuce cups!
- Use canned chickpeas to save time.
- Save the aquafaba (liquid from can of chickpeas) to use in another recipe such as this vegan chocolate mousse!
- Chop your fruit and vegetables before assembling the salad for quick assembly.
- Squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice or lime juice over your apples to help keep them from browning.
More vegan chickpea recipes!
- Cauliflower Curry with Chickpeas
- Chickpea Tuna Salad
- Chickpea Burgers
- Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry
If you made this recipe, please comment below and leave a ⭐️ rating. You can also follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more family-friendly vegan recipes!
Chickpea Curry Salad with Apples and Raisins
- 15 oz can of chickpeas
- ½ cup red onion finely diced
- 1 gala apple finely diced
- 2 stalks celery finely diced
- ¼ cup raisins
Vegan Curry Dressing
- ½ cup dairy-free plain coconut yogurt
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk yogurt, minced garlic, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Finely dice the apple, two stalks of celery, and red onion. Set aside.
- If using canned chickpeas, drain and rinse one 15 ounce can.
- In a large bowl, add the chickpeas, celery, onion, diced apple, and raisins. Pour the dressing overtop. Mix well with a spatula. Serve cold!
What a lovely and colorful salad! I can’t wait to get the ingredients to make this tomorrow. So excited to show my hubby!
Agnieszka | Wholly Tasteful
I love this chickpea salad recipe. Crunchy, fresh and great for summer!
I am familiar with Indian chickpea curry sauce, but salad is new to me. This looks gorgeous and delicious.
I couldn’t believe how simple and easy this recipe was to make, but how it packed a TON of flavor! I made it for lunch today and will be eating it throughout the week!