Crispy air fryer tortilla chips are so easy to make and only require two simple ingredients! They’re lower in fat and calories since they’re not fried in oil. So go ahead, and enjoy your chips and salsa without the guilt!
My family inhales bags of tortilla chips like it’s going out of style. My husband will buy a bag of tortilla chips from the grocery store, and the next day they are gone!
When I started to look at the number of calories and fat in those tortilla chips, I realized that maybe my family shouldn’t eat bags of them every week. Then I thought, why not make my tortilla chips?
I got the idea to create a new recipe using an air fryer lower in fat, calories, and salt yet still super crispy and delicious. These homemade chips are one of my favorite ways to prepare an easy snack for the kids! This recipe is so easy I can hardly believe it!
I’m sure your family will love this new healthier air fryer tortilla chips recipe! Want to know more about air frying?
💗 Why This Recipe Works
- Less expensive than store-bought
- Best tortilla chips recipe!
- Naturally Gluten-Free
- Quick and easy to make
- Only 2 ingredients needed
- Vegan and Dairy-Free
- Perfect for salsa, guacamole and nachos!
- Less time than baking in the oven!
- Less oil than deep-frying!
- Only takes a couple of minutes to make!
👩🏻🍳 Ingredients and Notes
Corn Tortillas: Use the corn tortillas of your choice. If you’re gluten-free, be sure to check that the tortillas are certified gluten-free, as some may be made in facilities that share equipment with non-gluten-free ingredients. If you prefer, you can also use flour tortillas.
Cooking Spray: You need some cooking spray to get a crispy chip. I prefer olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil cooking spray.
🛠 Tools and Equipment
Air Fryer: You only need your air fryer for these homemade tortilla chips. If you haven’t bought an air fryer before, I recommend reading my post on air fryer pros and cons, where I go in-depth into the many types of air fryers on the market and how to choose the one that is best for your needs.
📋 How to Make Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Slice the corn tortillas into triangles using a pizza cutter.
- Place the triangles into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Spray them with some oil cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt (optional).
- Set the air fryer to 375° Fahrenheit, and cooking time for 4 minutes.
- Give the basket a shake. If the chips aren’t crisp, bake for another 2 minutes.
Overcrowding the air fryer basket can trap moisture and prevent proper air circulation, leading to soggy chips. Cook the chips in batches, leaving enough space between each chip for even cooking. If you don’t use oil, your chips will not crisp. You don’t want too much oil that the tortilla chips are saturated, but they need a light amount to turn out crispy.
Yes, you can bake these in the oven too. Preheat your oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Place the tortilla chips in a single layer on a baking sheet. Spray the top with cooking spray. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove the chips, flip them over and spray them again, and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown.
The healthiest tortilla chips are the ones you make at home! However, if you’re looking for a store-bought brand, I recommend Garden of Eatin Yellow Chips. They are lower in sodium than most brands contain 130 calories per serving, and 7 grams of fat.
📝 Expert Tips
- Be sure to use the cooking spray when baking these chips. It’s the only way to ensure they get extra crispy! Another option is to brush the chips with only a small amount of olive oil. Too much, and they will be soggy.
- Slice the corn tortillas into triangles by cutting them in half and then cutting each into quarters. If you want smaller chips, you can cut them into eighths.
- Season with a touch of salt after spraying with the cooking spray so the salt sticks.
- Be sure to bake the tortilla chips in a single layer so that they bake evenly and crispy. You will likely need to prepare the tortilla chips in batches.
Add additional seasonings: Use flavored salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, or your favorite spices.
🍽 How to Serve
Homemade Salsa: My favorite way to enjoy these chips is with fresh lime juice and my favorite salsa (homemade or store-bought). Try a pineapple salsa for something a bit different but super tasty!
Gazpacho: Add to the side of your gazpacho for dipping.
Guacamole: Everyone’s favorite dip with chips, guacamole paired with these air fryer tortilla chips is a perfect appetizer for any party!
How to Store and Keep
Store: If you have extra tortilla chips store them in an airtight container or ziplock bag at room temperature.
Keep: They will keep for 3-4 days but may lose some of their crispiness after a few days have passed.
♨ How Do You Reheat Air Fryer Tortilla Chips?
If you like your chips warm put them back in the air fryer for 5 minutes at a low heat of about 300° Fahrenheit. They will warm and crisp back up in no time.
More Air Fryer Recipes!
Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Slice the corn tortillas into triangles. Stack a few tortillas on top of another and cut in half. Then cut into quarters. If you are using larger tortillas then you might want to cut them into eighths. Continue until you've cut all of your tortillas into triangles.
- Place the triangles into the air fryer basket in a single layer spray with cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt (optional). You can add other seasonings at this time if you desire.
- Set the air fryer to 375 F. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Give the basket a shake. If the chips aren't crisp, bake for another 2 minutes. Repeat until you've baked all of your tortilla chips.
- Be sure to use the cooking spray when baking these chips. It’s the only way to ensure they get extra crispy! Another option is to brush the chips with olive oil, but only a small amount. Too much and they will be soggy.
- Slice the corn tortillas into triangles by first cutting them in half, and then cut each half into quarters. If you want smaller chips, you can cut them into eighths.
- Season with a touch of salt after spraying with the cooking spray so that the salt sticks.
- Add additional seasonings. Use flavored salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, or your favorite spices and seasonings.
- Be sure to bake the tortilla chips in a single layer so that they bake evenly and crispy.
- You will likely need to prepare the tortilla chips in batches since you need to place them in the air fryer in a single layer.
- Store in an airtight bag at room temperature for 3-4 days.