Crispy air fryer tortilla chips are so easy to make and only require two simple ingredients! They’re lower in fat and calories since they’re not fried in oil. So go ahead, and enjoy your chips and salsa without the guilt!
My family inhales bags of tortilla chips like it’s going out of style. My husband will buy a bag of tortilla chips from the grocery store, and the next day they are gone!
They’re crazy about crispy chips and salsa, chips with guacamole, nachos, you name it! They love their tortilla chips anyway they can eat them.
When I started to take a look at the amount of calories and fat in those tortilla chips, I realized that maybe my family shouldn’t eat bags of them on a weekly basis.
Then I thought, why not make my own tortilla chips!
I got the idea to create a new recipe using the air fryer that is lower in fat, calories, and salt, yet still super crispy and delicious. These homemade chips are one of my favorite ways to prepare an easy snack for the kids!
This recipe is so easy, I can hardly believe it!
I’m certain that your family is going to love this new healthier air fryer tortilla chips recipe!
Want to know more about air frying? Check out my post: Can you put aluminum foil in an air fryer?
For more new recipes delivered to your inbox, be sure to sign-up for my weekly newsletter!
Why This Recipe Works
- Less expensive then store bought
- Best tortilla chips recipe!
- Naturally Gluten-Free
- Quick and easy to make
- Only 2 ingredients needed
- Vegan and Dairy-Free
- Perfect for salsa, guacamole and nachos!
- Less time than baking in the oven!
- Less oil than deep frying!
- Only takes a couple of minutes to make!
Recipe Ingredients and Notes
Corn Tortillas: Use the corn tortillas of your choice. If you’re gluten-free, be sure to check that the tortillas are certified gluten-free, as some may be made in facilities that share equipment with non-gluten free ingredients. If you prefer, you can also use flour tortillas.
Cooking Spray: In order to get a crispy chip, you need some cooking spray. I prefer to use olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil cooking spray.
Scroll down to the recipe card for complete measurements and instructions.
Tools and Equipment
Air Fryer: For this recipe, all you really need is your air fryer. If you haven’t bought an air fryer before, I recommend reading my post on air fryer buffalo cauliflower bites, where I go in depth into the many types of air fryers on the market, and how to choose the one that is best for your needs.
Step 1: Slice the corn tortillas into triangles using a pizza cutter. Place in a small bowl.
Step 2: Place the triangles into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Spray with a little bit of oil cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt (optional).
Step 3: Set the air fryer to 375 F, and cooking time for 4 minutes.
Step 4: Give the basket a shake. If they chips aren’t crisp, bake for another 2 minutes or so.
If you’d like to reheat your tortilla chips, spray them with a bit of oil, place them in the air fryer. How many chips you can fit in your air fryer will depend on the size of your air fryer. Set the temperature to 350 F, and heat for about 2 minutes. You can also reheat them on a baking sheet in the oven.
Add more flavor to your tortilla chips by adding different seasonings after you spray them with oil. Try cayenne for heat, paprika for a smoky flavor, garlic powder and onion salt for a seasoned flavor. Squeeze a bit of lime juice on top before serving!
The healthiest tortilla chips are the ones you make at home! However, if you’re looking for a store bought brand, I recommend Garden of Eatin Yellow Chips. They are lower in sodium than most brands, contain 130 calories per serving, and 7 grams of fat.
- Be sure to use cooking spray when baking these chips. It’s the only way to ensure they get extra crispy!
- Slice the corn tortillas into triangles by first cutting them in half, and then cutting each half into quarters. If you want smaller chips, you can cut them into eighths.
- Season with a touch of salt after spraying with the cooking spray so that the salt sticks.
- Add additional seasonings. Use flavored salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, or your favorite spices and seasonings.
- Be sure to bake the tortilla chips in a single layer so that they bake evenly and crispy.
How to Serve
Homemade Salsa: Serve these with your favorite salsa (homemade or store bought). Try a pineapple salsa for something a bit different but super tasty!
Gazpacho: Add to the side of your gazpacho for dipping.
Guacamole: Everyone’s favorite dip with chips, guacamole paired with these air fryer tortilla chips is a perfect appetizer for any party!
Nachos: Use these chips to make your nachos healthier! way healthier I top our nachos with vegan cheese sauce, black beans, and sour cream, you’ve got everything you need for a family meal they’ll love!
How to Store and Keep
Store: If you have extra chips store then in an airtight container or ziplock bag at room temperature.
Keep: They will keep for 3-4 days, but may lose some of their crispiness after a few days have passed.
Check out these other air fryer recipes!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and let me know how it turned out. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest for more plant-based family recipes your whole family will enjoy!
Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- 20 corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- 1/2 tsp salt optional
- Slice the corn tortillas into triangles. Stack a few tortillas on top of another and cut in half. Then cut into quarters. If you are using larger tortillas then you might want to cut them into eighths. Continue until you've cut all of your tortillas into triangles.
- Place the triangles into the air fryer basket in a single layer spray with cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt (optional). You can add other seasonings at this time if you desire.
- Set the air fryer to 375 F. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Give the basket a shake. If the chips aren't crisp, bake for another 2 minutes. Repeat until you've baked all of your tortilla chips.