This 8-ingredient Vegan Blondies recipe is chewy, rich, and delicious. They’re naturally gluten-free, oil-free, and take minutes to make!
Brownies tend to get all the hype, but in my opinion, blondies are just as good! They’re like a thick chocolate chip cookie in brownie form. I mean, who could pass that up?
Blondies are typically made with butter, brown sugar, eggs, white flour, and white chocolate chips. Sometimes nuts are added for crunch and texture. They’re chewy, and rich, baked in a pan and cut into squares.
Making these vegan blondies is easier than a traditional recipe. All you need to do is combine 8 simple ingredients in your food processor, transfer to a pan, and bake!
Plus they are a WAY healthier plant-based dessert. With natural sweetener, no oil, or white flour, and no need for eggs.
The secret ingredient that makes these blondies rich and chewy is chickpeas! I know! Who would have guessed? I promise your family and friends will have absolutely no idea that these blondies get their rich chewy texture from chickpeas.
My kids were literally staring at the oven waiting for them to come out, while my husband could barely wait for them to cool before taking a bite.
💗 Why You’ll Love these Vegan Blondies
- One Bowl Recipe
- 8 Simple Ingredients
- Rich and Chewy
- Healthier than the original
- Whole Food Plant-Based Ingredients
- Mix everything together in the food processor
- Prep time is less than 5 minutes
🥣 Ingredients and Notes
Here’s the list of ingredients you’ll need to gather to get started with this recipe. Measurements are below in the printable recipe card for your convenience.
Low Sodium Chickpeas: Drain and rinse.
Raw Almond Butter: I recommend using raw almond butter for these blondies. Be sure to use creamy almond butter. You can also use creamy peanut butter or cashew butter in place of the almond butter.
Blanched Almond Flour: Be sure to use blanched almond flour, not an almond meal. An Almond meal will give you a denser darker blondie.
Vanilla Extract: Brings out the flavor of the chocolate.
Baking Powder: Used to leaven the bars.
Salt: Balances the favors.
Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips: My favorite dairy-free chocolate chips to bake with are Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels. They have a great taste, and melt well too!
📋 How to Make Vegan Blondies – Step by Step
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Combine chickpeas, almond butter, almond flour, maple syrup, vanilla, baking powder, and salt in a food processor. Pulse until the batter is smooth and all of the chickpeas are combined.
Step 2: Take the blade out of the food processor. Scrape off any extra dough on the blade. Pour chocolate chips into the food processor container. Using a spatula fold in the chocolate chips.
Step 3: Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper. Pour the batter into the pan. Using your spatula spread the batter evenly over the pan. The batter will be sticky and you might need to use your clean hands to get an even spread. Sprinkle an additional 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips over the top. Lightly press them into the batter using your fingers.
Step 4: Bake in the preheated oven at 350 F for 25-30 minutes. The top will be golden brown. Allow them to cool completely in the pan. Remove from the pan and cut into 9 equal squares. Enjoy!
💭 Expert Tips
- Rinse and drain chickpeas before adding to the recipe
- Use canned or make your own chickpeas from dried. If you use your own chickpeas use 2 cups of cooked chickpeas.
- The batter will be sticky, use parchment paper to keep it from sticking to the pan.
- Allow blondies to cool completely before removing them from the pan. They will firm up as they cool.
- Use blanched almond flour, not an almond meal.
A blondie is made without cocoa powder, while a brownie is made with cocoa powder and chocolate. Blondies have a light batter that resembles a chocolate chip cookie, they are often dotted with chocolate chips or white chocolate chips. They are called blondies because they are lighter in color. Brownies are made with milk chocolate or dark chocolate to create a chocolate batter. Both are cut into bars.
They taste like dense chocolate chip cookies. Chickpeas have a mild flavor, and when combined with other ingredients it is nearly completely masked. These do not taste beany or like a savory dish at all. Chickpeas serve as an excellent substitute for vegan butter or oil and create a moist, thick, and gooey blondie.
Yes, blondies should be soft and gooey. They are not meant to be crisp like a cookie.
👩🏻🍳 Variations and Substitutions
- No Almond Butter-Use cashew, or peanut butter instead.
- No Almond Flour-Use oat flour to keep these gluten-free.
- Add Nuts-Add ⅓ cup of chopped walnuts or pecans for added texture and crunch.
🍽 How to Serve
Enjoy plain and simple for dessert or a snack. Add a scoop of vanilla dairy free ice cream for an extra special treat and drizzle with chocolate syrup to make a blondie sundae.
❄️ How to Store and Keep
Store the vegan blondies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. If you choose to freeze cut into squares and wrap each one in saran wrap to avoid freezer burn, then transfer squares to a freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator and enjoy!
😋 More Vegan Brownies and Cookies!
If you made this recipe, please comment below and leave a ⭐️ rating. You can also follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more family-friendly vegan recipes!
Vegan Blondies | Gluten-Free and Oil Free
- 8×8 baking pan
- 15 oz can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup blanched almond flour
- ½ cup raw almond butter
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup dairy free chocolate chips + 2 tablespoon to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine chickpeas, almond butter, almond flour, maple syrup, vanilla, baking powder, and salt in your food processor. Pulse until batter is smooth and all chickpeas are combined.
- Take blade out of food processor. Scrape off any extra dough on the blade. Pour chocolate chips into food processor container. Using a spatula fold in chocolate chips.
- Line 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper. Pour batter into pan. Using your spatula spread the batter evenly over the pan. Batter will be sticky and you might need to use your clean hands get an even spread. Sprinkle an additional 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips over top. Lightly press them into the batter using your fingers.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 F for 25-30 minutes. Top will be golden brown. Allow to cool completely in pan. Remove from pan and cut into 9 equal squares. Enjoy!
- Rinse and drain chickpeas before adding to the recipe
- Use canned or make your own chickpeas from dried. If you use your own chickpeas use 2 cups of cooked chickpeas
- The batter will be sticky, use parchment paper to keep it from sticking to the pan
- Allow blondies to cool completely before removing them from the pan. They will firm up as they cool
- Use blanched almond flour, not almond meal
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
So glad to come across a vegan blondie recipe! Thanks
I love how soft and chewy these are. Ultimate comfort food!
Lisa | Garlic & Zest
Wow! I’ve never tried baking with garbanzo beans before and I had no idea they’d work as such a healthy substitute. I’d love to try one!
These were so good!! My family loved it!! Can’t wait to make it again!
These vegan blondies were absolutely delicious! Perfectly moist texture and just the right amount of chocolate.
These were so easy and delicious; exactly what I needed to cure my sweet tooth!
Can a different flour be used for this?
You can use oat flour.