Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
This light and creamy vegan sweet potato casserole is savory and sweet! Topped with chopped pecans and using whole food plant-based ingredients, it's the perfect side dish for your holiday meal!
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes about 6 medium potatoes
- 3/4 cup coconut milk full fat
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup muscavado sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 375 F. Wash and scrub potatoes. Pierce each potato a few times with a fork.
When sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop out the filling. Add coconut milk, orange juice, muscavado or brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Using a potato masher or hand mixer combine the ingredients until smooth.
Transfer filling to a 9x13 baking dish. Top with chopped pecans. Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees F. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Use a hand mixer or stand mixer to get a creamy texture.
- If you like a chunkier texture use a potato masher.
- Make sure sweet potatoes are fully cooked before scooping out the flesh.
- If you prefer, peel potatoes, transfer to a pot of boiling water and cook until potatoes are soft and cooked through.
- I recommend a 9x13 baking dish, but you use any size that you like.
- Store in an air tight container for 3-4 days.
Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 183mg | Potassium: 577mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 21471IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 1mg