Vegan Chorizo Crumbles
Vegan Chorizo Crumbles are crunchy and spicy. Made with crumbled tofu and spices, it's baked until crispy. Use as stuffing for tacos, sprinkle on top of salads, or enjoy with a breakfast!
- 1 block extra firm tofu pressed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
Preheat oven to 350 F. Press your tofu. Drain water from the tofu packaging. Fold two paper towels and place on a plate. Put tofu on top of paper towels, and then fold two additional paper towels to place on top of the tofu. The tofu block will be sandwiched between the layers of paper towels.Next place a heavy pan on top of the tofu block. Then add a few heavy cans from your pantry to add extra weight. Allow tofu to press for 20 minutes. If you have a tofu press, you can use that instead of following these steps.
Finely crumble tofu with your hands, pinching the tofu with your thumb and fingers.
Add all of the spices and the red wine vinegar to the bowl ofcrumbled tofu. Stir until all crumbles are well coated.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the crumblesover the baking sheet in one layer.
Bake for 30 minutes at 350 F. Every 10 minutes toss thecrumbles for an even bake. Remove from oven and use in your favorite recipe!
- Be sure to press the tofu before crumbling. This will extract the excess water and create a crispy and crunchy crumble.
- Toss the crumbles in the oven a few times to help get an oven bake so that all crumbles come out crispy.
- Finely crumble the tofu with your hands. The finer the better. Those fine crumbles come out extra crispy!
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. When ready to reheat warm in the microwave, or for a crispier finish warm in the oven for about 5 minutes at 350 F or until warmed through.
Calories: 58kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 220mg | Potassium: 201mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1229IU | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 2mg