Vegan Sloppy Joes
These Vegan Sloppy Joes are made with lentils, onions, red pepper, and a perfect balance of seasonings. Using pantry ingredients and taking less than 30 minutes to prepare, they're flavorful, easy, and perfect for a weeknight meal!
- 1 cup green lentils
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 red pepper
- 1 sweet onion medium
- 2 cloves garlic
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 8 whole wheat or gluten-free buns
Prepare lentils- Thoroughly rinse lentils in colander. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add lentils. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
Dice onion, red pepper, and mince garlic. Add ¼ cup of water to sauté pan. Add onions. Sauté for 5 minutes of until translucent. Add minced garlic. Sauté for an additional minute. Add red pepper cook another minute.
Add chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Add tomato sauce. Stir in coconut sugar, apple cider vinegar, and vegan Worcestershire sauce.
When lentils are cooked drain any access liquid. Then add lentils to sauce. Stir to combine.
Toast buns and top with lentils. Add your favorite toppings and serve!
*Calories and nutritional information are estimated without the bun or toppings.
- You can use pre-cooked lentils for this recipe. I find prepared lentils in the refrigerated section of Trader Joes.
- If preparing your own lentils, be sure to rinse before adding them to the water and broth.
- Check lentils at 15 minutes. Overcooked lentils become mushy.
- Use water or vegetable broth to prepare the lentils. Vegetable broth will add a bit more flavor to the lentils. Although in this recipe I don't find it necessary as the sauce has a lot of flavor already!
- Use water or vegetable broth to sauté the onions and vegetables instead of oil.
Calories: 130kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 473mg | Potassium: 528mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1581IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 3mg