Vegan Stuffed Peppers Mexican Style
These vegan stuffed peppers with brown rice, black beans, corn and Mexican spices are topped with an avocado cream. Not too spicy and totally satisfying for an easy weeknight meal packed with plant-based nutrients.
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- ½ cup black beans
- ½ cup corn frozen and thawed
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 avocado
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare rice according to package instructions.
Combine prepared brown rice, black beans, corn, and salsa. Mix in spices (cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper).
Cut tops off of peppers. Remove seeds. Using the pepper tops, slice and dice into small pieces. Then fold diced pepper tops into the rice mixture. If you plan to freeze the peppers or want to reduce baking time blanch the peppers prior to stuffing. See directions in notes on how to blanch peppers.
Fill peppers with rice mixture. Place in baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes covered. Remove cover and bake an additional 10 minutes at 400 F.
While peppers are baking prepare the avocado cream. Slice avocado in half. Remove seed. Scoop out the flesh and add to bowl. Add almond milk and spices. Mash with a fork until creamy.
Serve peppers topped with avocado cream and chopped cilantro or parsley.
- If you prefer softer peppers, bring a pot of water to boil. Submerge peppers in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Remove from boiling water and submerge in ice bath for 2-3 minutes. If using this process you do not need to bake the stuffed peppers for the additional 10 minutes uncovered.
- You can also add a ½ cup of vegetable stock to the baking dish to steam the peppers for a softer texture.
- To save time on making the rice, use instant brown rice, or brown rice steam bags.
- Increase or decrease amount of cumin and chili powder to suit your taste. I keep it on the mild side for my kids.
- Use mild, medium, or spicy salsa to suit your taste.
- Add 1 tablespoon of chopped jalapeño pepper for even more kick!
Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 419mg | Potassium: 766mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 4256IU | Vitamin C: 159mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 2mg