Healthy Vegan Brownies
These healthy vegan brownies will satisfy your sweet tooth without the guilt. They are low calorie, refined sugar free and oil-free yet still chewy, thick, gooey, and fudgy!
- 4 tbsp ground flax
- ⅔ cup warm water
- 1 cup date sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 cup cacao powder
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce or pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk optional
Preheat oven to 325 F. Combine ground flax and warm water in a small bowl. Set aside for 15 minutes.
While flax egg sets, combine dry ingredients (date sugar, cacao powder, white whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt) in a medium mixing bowl.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients (flax egg, applesauce/or pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract) to the dry ingredients. Stirring until combined. If the batter seems too dry add ¼ cup of unsweetened almond milk.
Pour batter into an 8x8 pan lined with parchment paper. Spread evenly.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan and cutting into squares.
Tips for Making the Best Brownies
Store and Keep: Allow the brownies to cool to room temperature before transferring to an airtight container. They will keep at room temperature for up to 4 days, or store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Gluten-Free: Use ¼ cup of almond flour, and ¼ cup of oat flour, or ½ a cup of 1:1 gluten-free flour blend.
- Use organic whole food ingredients whenever possible.
- Mix the ground flax with warm water and set aside for at least 15 minutes or until flax and water begins to thicken into an egg like consistency.
- Mix dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls before combining.
- Line your baking pan with parchment paper. This eliminates the need to grease the pan and will allow you to remove your brownies from the pan with ease.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.
Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 214mg | Potassium: 189mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 4IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 2mg