Dairy Free Banana Bread
This simple and easy one bowl dairy free banana bread will become the only recipe you'll ever need. It's gotten a healthy makeover using whole wheat flour, and eliminating oil, eggs, dairy, and reducing the overall sugar. Put your own spin on it by adding your favorite chopped nut, or chocolate chips!
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour or gluten free flour blend
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts optional
Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a medium size bowl mash the bananas until they become a thick liquid consistency. Add applesauce, vanilla extract, and almond milk. Stir to combine.
Add flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir until just combined. Don't over mix. Add optional 1/3 cup of nuts of chocolate chips at this time.
Line a 9 inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and spread evenly across the top using a spatula. Optional: Sprinkle a few chopped nuts or chocolate chips on the top.
Bake in preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until the top browns and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Nutrition information is calculated without nuts or chocolate chips.
- Use brown spotted bananas that are very ripe.
- Use white whole wheat flour for a lighter more moist bread.
- Make sure your applesauce is unsweetened. It acts as the oil and gives this banana bread moisture, but you don't need added sugar.
- For an even lighter bread, sift the flour before adding to the wet ingredients.
- Test the bread with a toothpick after taking it out of the oven to make sure it is done.
Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 199mg | Potassium: 188mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 19IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 1mg