Vegan Oil Free Banana Bread
This simple and easy one-bowl vegan oil-free banana bread will become the only recipe you'll ever need. Banana bread gets a healthy makeover while staying moist, sweet, and totally delicious. Put your own spin on this recipe by adding your favorite chopped nuts!
- 3 ripe bananas
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour or gluten free flour blend
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup chopped nuts optional
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
In a medium sized bowl mash the bananas until they become a thick liquid consistency. Add the applesauce, vanilla extract, and almond milk. Stir to combine.
Add the flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir until just combined. Don't over mix. Add the optional ⅓ cup of chopped nuts. Reserve some to sprinkle on the top after it's added to the loaf pan.
Line a 9 inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and spread evenly across the top using a spatula. Optional: Sprinkle a few chopped nuts on the top.
Bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until the top browns and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Then carefully transfer it to a cooling rack to cool completely before you slice and serve.
Notes and Expert Tips
- Use brown spotted bananas that are very ripe.
- Use white whole wheat flour for lighter more moist bread.
- Make sure your applesauce is unsweetened. It acts as the oil and gives this banana bread moisture, but you don't need added sugar.
- For lighter bread, sift the flour before adding it to the wet ingredients.
- If the top of the bread browns quickly, add an aluminum foil tent to prevent burning the top.
- Test the bread with a toothpick after taking it out of the oven to make sure it is done.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- Freeze for up to 3 months. Wrap in saran wrap and place in a freezer-safe bag to avoid freezer burn.
Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 199mg | Potassium: 188mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 19IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 1mg