Vegan Green Beans with Lemon and Garlic
These simple vegan green beans are made using an easy cooking technique that retains their color and texture. They are sautéed with onions, garlic, and a citrus glaze, then topped with toasted pine nuts. These oil free vegan green beans are a healthy whole food plant-based side dish perfect for the holidays.
- 1 lb green beans
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp salt
- pepper to taste
Wash and trim green beans. To trim green beans cut the tips off either side.
Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add green beans. Cook for 2 minutes.
Remove immediately and submerge in ice bath.
Dice onion. Heat a ¼ cup of vegetable broth in a skillet. Add onion cook for 3 minutes on medium heat until they soften. Add garlic. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Remove green beans from ice water. Add to skillet with onions and garlic. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Add lemon juice, and orange juice (optional), salt, and pepper. Remove from heat. Transfer to a serving dish.
Place dry pine nuts in a skillet large enough to hold them in a single layer. Do not add oil. Heat over medium until pine nuts turn golden brown and release their fragrance. Remove from heat immediately to stop cooking process and sprinkle over top green beans.
Top with lemon zest and serve.
- Salt boiling water and add the green beans to the water once it's reached a boil.
- Keep an eye on the green beans when blanching. They can turn quickly. I recommend blanching for 2 minutes.
- Immediately transfer the green beans from the boiling water after 2 minutes to an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- I left the green beans in the ice water until I was ready to transfer them to the skillet with the onions and garlic.
- After reheating the green beans in the skillet remove from pan and transfer to serving dish to stop the cooking process.
- Remove pine nuts from pan immediately to stop cooking and potentially burning the pine nuts.
Calories: 59kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 142mg | Potassium: 218mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 554IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg