Black Bean Quinoa Salad
This vegan black bean quinoa salad made with edamame, corn, and red peppers is packed with plant protein, dense in nutrients, and a fan favorite among my kids. A slightly spicy lime dressing pulls the fresh flavors together. It's perfect as a stand alone main dish. Make extra to pack for lunch the next day.
- 1/2 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 12 oz bag of frozen edamame
- 12 oz bag of frozen corn
- 14 oz can of organic black beans
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp salt
Bring water and quinoa to boil in a small pot. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Take off of heat and fluff with a fork.
While quinoa is cooking, rinse black beans.
Cook frozen corn according to package instructions.
Chop red pepper into small chunks.
Combine defrosted edamame, black beans, corn, red pepper, and cooked quinoa in a large bowl.
In a small bowl combine the juice of one lime, cumin, cayenne and salt. Pour over quinoa mixture. Stir to combine.
- Defrost frozen edamame prior to preparing the salad by putting it the refrigerator the night before or quickly defrosting it in the microwave.
- Some quinoa needs to be rinsed before cooking unless the package says it is pre-rinsed and ready to use. Use a metal sieve and run water over quinoa until water runs clear. Drain and transfer to pot.
- Optional: Leave out cayenne and let each person control their own spice.