Vegan Taco Meat (Lentil Taco Meat)
This simple to make Vegan Taco Meat is packed with fiber, plant protein, and big on flavor. In 30 minutes or less you have a family friendly meal on the table. Add your favorite toppings like avocado, salsa, chopped tomato, cilantro, and green onion!
Servings: 8 tacos
- 2 cups prepared brown lentils
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 8 crunchy or soft corn tortillas
- 1 avocado sliced
- ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- cilantro for garnish
- scallions/green onion for garnish
If you have prepared lentils, you can skip this step. If not, rinse 1 cup of dry lentils. Cook on stovetop with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are soft. Lentils will double in size. Be sure to use a large enough pot.
In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, add onions, garlic and diced peppers. Sauté until soft about 3 minutes.
Add spices to onion mixture. Sauté an additional minute.
Add cooked lentils.
Assemble tacos. Add avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, and any additional toppings you desire.
- Keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Keep frozen for 2-3 months.
- Chop all the vegetables while the lentils are cooking to help you save time with this vegan taco recipe.
- Use packaged lentils, I use the ones from Trader Joe's in the vegetable section, if you do not want to prepare the lentils from dried.
- Mash the mixture a bit with a potato masher to achieve a vegan ground beef like texture, or use a food processor to mix the lentils before adding to the pan with the veggies.
- Sprinkle with sunflower seeds for added crunch and protein!
Calories: 346kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 68mg | Potassium: 918mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1935IU | Vitamin C: 51mg | Calcium: 87mg | Iron: 5mg