Vegan Chipotle Bowl
When you're craving take-out, make this simple vegan chipotle bowl, complete with fajita style vegetables, seasoned black beans, rice, and avocado. It's a simple healthy bowl that's full of smoky and spicy flavor!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Course: Main Course
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 red pepper
- 1 small red onion
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup frozen corn
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon chipotle chili pepper
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili pepper
- 4 cups spring mix or chopped romaine
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
Prepare the rice: You'll need 2 cups of cooked brown rice. Prepare rice according to package directions.
Prepare Vegetables: Thinly slice red pepper and red onion lengthwise. Reserve a few strips of red pepper and red onion for your black beans. Finely dice the reserved red onion and red pepper and put aside to use for the black beans.
Sauté fajita vegetables: Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in your skillet on medium-high heat. If oil-free, use a touch of water, or vegetable broth. Throw in your vegetables, and stir. Sauté for about 3 minutes. Add the chipotle chili pepper, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Sauté an additional 1-2 minutes or until peppers and onions are soft and slightly caramelized.
Prepare black beans: Drain and rinse black beans. Add to medium saucepan on medium heat. Add frozen corn, diced red pepper, and diced red onion. Sprinkle in the salt, pepper, and chipotle pepper. Add a dash of cayenne if you like more spice. Add 1 tablespoon of lime juice. Stir to combine all the ingredients. Heat for about 3-5 minutes or until frozen corn is thawed and beans are heated through.
Dice avocado, and tomatoes.
Assemble your bowl. Add the ½ cup of cooked brown rice, 1 cup of greens, and evenly divide black beans and fajita vegetables in 4 bowls. Top with diced avocado, and tomatoes. Serve with a wedge of lime, and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
- Be sure to drain and rinse your black beans.
- Prepare all of your vegetables before you begin to cook. Make sure to reserve at least three slices of red pepper, and red onion to finely dice for your black beans.
- Season your black beans to add more flavor to your bowl.
- Use different rice. You can sub brown rice with white rice, cauliflower rice, lime rice, or Arroz Rojo.
- Use different greens. Instead of spring mix, use chopped romaine, or spinach.
- Use different beans or tofu. If you don't like black beans or have something different in your pantry, feel free to use it instead. I suggest using pinto beans as an alternative.
- Will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Store black beans, rice, and fajita vegetables in their own individual glass containers.
- Warm rice, beans, and fajita vegetables in the microwave. Then add your fresh ingredients like your greens, tomatoes, avocado, and a wedge of lime.
Calories: 246kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 100mg | Potassium: 621mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1713IU | Vitamin C: 65mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 2mg