Dairy Free Vegan Green Bean Casserole
This creamy dairy free green bean casserole is the perfect holiday side dish. This classic recipe has been reimagined to include all of the good stuff; green beans, mushrooms, a creamy sauce, and a crunchy onion topping, but without the dairy, or gluten! It's simple, easy, and tastes like the original, only better!
- 16 oz frozen green beans
- ¾ cup sliced mushrooms
- 4 tbsp vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp sage
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 small white onion finely sliced
- ¼ cup gluten free Panko breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 375 F. Add green beans, then mushrooms to casserole dish. Set aside.
In a saucepan on low heat, add 2 tbsps of vegetable stock. Stir in the gluten-free flour until a paste is formed. Add soy milk, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, sage, and oregano. Whisk together. Continue to whisk until sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat, and set aside.
Add 2 tbsp of vegetable stock to fry pan. Add thinly sliced onions. Sauté until soft about 3 minutes. Sprinkle gluten-free breadcrumbs overtop. Continue to sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes or until breadcrumbs are toasted and onions begin to brown.
Pour cream sauce overtop the mushrooms and green beans. Top with onions and breadcrumbs. Add a touch more breadcrumbs if you desire.
Bake for 35 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Nutrition facts are estimated.
- Store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in an air tight container.
- Reheat in the oven or microwave.
- Will freeze for 2-3 months.
- There is no need to defrost the green beans prior to cooking.
- Buy pre-sliced mushrooms to save yourself a step.
- Be sure to use unsweetened plain soy milk, no vanilla or sugar added. If you can't find unsweetened soy milk, use unsweetened coconut milk, or cashew milk.
- Since this recipe doesn't use butter to create a roux, it's important to whisk continuously so that the flour incorporates with the milk.
Calories: 68kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 238mg | Potassium: 229mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 502IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 1mg