Vegan Strawberry Cake
This vegan strawberry cake starts with a vanilla cake base, with fresh chunky strawberries throughout the batter, topped with a coconut whipped cream frosting, and fresh strawberries. It's light, decadent, and irresistible!
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup organic cane sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries diced plus 6-10 additional strawberries to decorate the cake
Prepare the cake:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine soy milk with apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
Chop 1 cup of diced strawberries.
Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl combine, soy milk and apple cider vinegar, with vanilla, sugar, and coconut oil. Whisk together until sugar is dissolved.
Pour wet ingredients into bowl with dry ingredients. Carefully fold until combined. Careful not to over mix. Fold strawberries into batter.
Line baking pan with parchment paper. Grease sides of pan. Add batter to pan. Shake or drop pan onto counter a few times to evenly distribute batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Coconut Whipped Topping
Chill mixing bowl in the freezer for at least 10 minutes.
Remove cream that has risen to the top of the can, careful not to add any of the coconut water to the bowl. It should harden and become solid.
Using a hand or stand mixer whip cream for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar and whip for an additional minute.
- The best type of oil to use is vegetable or canola oil. You could also use coconut oil, but be sure that it melted and cooled.
- Don't over mix the batter. It will cause a dense cake texture.
- You could add strawberry flavoring into the cake batter to infuse more strawberry flavor.
- Be sure to check the cake at 20 minutes and check that the cake has full cooked all the way through by inserting a toothpick.
- Make sure to line your cake pan with parchment paper and grease the sides so that it releases easily.
- Before topping the cake with the whipped topping be sure that it has cooled completely. A warm cake will melt the whipped topping.
- Store whipped topping in the refrigerator until you're ready to frost the cake.
- Reserve a few strawberries to decorate the top of the cake.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Calories: 309kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Sodium: 153mg | Potassium: 176mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 77IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 2mg