Vegan Bao Buns with Portobello Mushrooms
These vegan bao buns with portobello mushrooms are so simple to make! Sliced portobello mushrooms are cooked in a spicy soy sauce marinade, and paired with quick pickled onions, simple greens, and sliced tomatoes, in between a fluffy whole wheat tortilla.
Servings: 4 2 buns per person
- 3 portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 3 tomatoes sliced into wedges
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- ½ cup vinegar
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 2 tsp sweet chili sauce
Slice portobello mushrooms into long strips. Place in shallow bowl. Cover with soy sauce, sriracha, sweet chili sauce, and ginger. Marinate for a minimum of 10 minutes.
While mushrooms are marinating thinly slice onions. In a small bowl cover with vinegar. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
Heat pan to medium high heat. Transfer marinated portobello mushrooms to pan. Sauté for 5-8 minutes or until cooked through.
Cover buns with spinach or fresh greens. Add pickled onions, marinated mushrooms, and tomatoes. Enjoy!
- Thoroughly wash mushrooms before slicing. Use a wet paper towel or soft brush to gently remove any dirt.
- Slice the portobellos into thin long strips.
- Slice onions into thin long strips.
- After mushrooms are done cooking. Remove from pan, and add any extra marinade from the bowl. Simmer on low to thicken. Use as a sauce to put on top of the buns.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Calories: 176kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 905mg | Potassium: 655mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1503IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 2mg