Vegan Baked Beans
This homemade vegan baked beans recipe has a deep rich and smoky sweet flavor, yet it's made on the stovetop in only 15 minutes!
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cans great northern beans 15 oz cans
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Heat skillet to medium high. Add 1/4 cup of vegetable broth.Add diced yellow onion. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add minced garlic. Sauté an additional minute.
Combine apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, liquid smoke, and dijon mustard in a small bowl. Whisk together with a fork. Add to pan, stirring to combine. Stir in tomato paste. Add coconut sugar, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Stirring until all ingredients are combined. Sauce will be thick.
Add drained and rinsed beans. Stirring to coat the beans in sauce. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until beans are heated.
- Will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- You can freeze by transferring to a freezer safe container. Bring to room temperature, and freeze the day you make it.
- Can also use dried beans. Prepare 1 cup of dried beans for this recipe.
Calories: 189kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 275mg | Potassium: 612mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 283IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 3mg