Vegan Curried Lentils
Vegan Curried Lentils are flavorful, rich in nutrients, and totally satisfying! With crunchy carrots, sweet onions, and bell peppers this lentil dish delivers on texture and taste!
- 1 cup red or yellow lentils rinsed and drained
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 cup red pepper diced
- ¾ cup sweet onion diced
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- cilantro for garnish
Sauté onions in ¼ cup of vegetable broth for 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and ginger. Sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
Add chopped carrots and bell peppers. Add remaining vegetable broth, and diced tomatoes, and bring to a boil.
Add rinsed and drained lentils. Stir to combine. Simmer with lid on for 15-20 minutes or until lentils are soft.
Reduce heat.Add spices: curry powder, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook an additional 3 minutes until heated through. Serve with brown rice, or quinoa and top with fresh chopped cilantro.
- You can use precooked green lentils to save on time. I prefer the yellow or red lentils as they have a softer texture which I like in this dish.
- There are many varieties of lentils. Some require a longer cooking time. Be sure to read the package instructions for the lentils you purchase if you do not use red or yellow lentils. Green lentils will require a longer cooking time.
- Find many types of lentils in the bulk section of your grocery store.
- For meal prep, you can prepare the lentils in advance, and mix them into the sauce and vegetables to save you time when you're ready to serve.
- This dish tastes great over brown rice or quinoa. Brown rice also takes longer to cook, so you can prep this ahead of time or choose to use quinoa which cooks more quickly.
Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 316mg | Potassium: 607mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 4456IU | Vitamin C: 43mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 4mg