Vegan Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Vegan Chocolate Covered Strawberries are a snap to make, and they only require two simple ingredients. Add a few decorative sprinkles, or chopped nuts and they're the perfect treat for your Valentine!
- 1 lb organic strawberries
- 9 oz vegan chocolate chips
- sprinkles optional
Wash the strawberries with the stems on under cold water, and pat them dry with a paper towel or clean kitchen towel.
Using the double boiler method, bring a saucepan filled with two inches of water to a boil. Reduce heat, and set glass bowl with chocolate chips on top, making sure the bowl covers the rim of the saucepan, but does not touch the water. You want the bowl tightly fitted across the top of the saucepan so that the steam does not escape. The steam will slowly and gently melt the chocolate chips. Stir until completely melted.
Hold the stem of each strawberry and dip the strawberry into the melted chocolate. Shake off any excess chocolate, and set on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Optional: Top with sprinkles.
Transfer to the refrigerator to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Buy large plump strawberries with the stem attached
- Make sure to read the ingredient label on the chocolate before you buy, to ensure it is vegan and free of processed ingredients
- Using the double boiler method will help the chocolate from seizing and becoming a lumpy mess. I prefer this method as I have more control.
- You can also microwave the chips 30 seconds at a time on 50% heat. Checking, stirring, and then heating again for an additional 30 seconds until completely melted.
- Allow to set in the refrigerator, but remove from the refrigerator after 15-2- minutes and store in a cool dry place until ready to serve.
- Chocolate covered strawberries are best enjoyed fresh the day you make them.
- If you have extra do not store in the refrigerator. Instead gently cover and store at room temperature. Enjoy within 1-2 days.
Calories: 95kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 46mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 4IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1mg