Vegan Black Eyed Pea Soup with Kale
This vegan black eyed pea soup combines a blend of vegetables in a tomato broth with hearty black eyed peas and nutrient dense kale for a flavorful winter soup perfect for ringing in the New Year, or anytime!
- 15 oz can of black eyed peas rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups chopped kale
- salt to taste
- parsley to garnish
Dice onion, green pepper, celery, and carrots.
Add ¼ cup of vegetable stock to the pot. Sauté onions on medium heat until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, sauté an additional minute. Add green pepper, celery, and carrots. Sauté an additional 5 minutes.
Add the remaining vegetable stock, 3 ¾ cups, diced tomatoes, and rinsed and drained black eyed peas. Stir in spices and add bay leaf.
Cover and simmer on low-medium heat for 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
Stir in kale until wilted. Add salt to taste.
- You can prep your own dried black eyed peas, use a 15 oz can of drained and rinsed black eyed peas, or get prepped black eyed peas in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. I got mine in a pre-prepped package at Trader Joe's.
- Be sure to rinse and drain your black eyed peas if using canned or packaged. This will reduce the salt.
- If prepping your own black eyed peas use ¾ cup dried. Pre-cook the black eyed peas before adding them to the recipe.
- Substitute your favorite leafy green if you're not a fan of kale. Collard greens are the traditional green used with black eyed peas, but you can also use spinach, or Swiss chard.
- Add an additional cup of black eyed peas for a more stew like consistency.
Calories: 144kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 143mg | Potassium: 656mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 7096IU | Vitamin C: 66mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 3mg