Vegan Cashew Ricotta
The best ever vegan cashew ricotta made with simple ingredients. Use my easy short-cut to get a perfectly textured dairy-free ricotta in minutes that you can use in a variety of vegan recipes that call for ricotta cheese.
- 1 ½ cups raw whole cashews
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
Bring a pot of water to boil. Add cashews. Boil for 5 minutes. Drain.
In a food processor combine all ingredients for the ricotta (drained cashews, water, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper). Pulse until smooth.
- Use raw cashews. You won't get any of the roasted flavor and they're healthier since they're not roasted or processed in oil.
- Don't over soak the cashews. While this recipe has you boil the cashews in hot water for 5 minutes, if you choose to soak the cashews do so for 2-3 hours. Over soaking the cashews can result in a bitter flavor.
- You can substitute lemon juice for the apple cider.
- Don't over process the ingredients. You want to retain some of the texture.
- Nutritional yeast is what gives this vegan ricotta its "cheesy" flavor.