Chocolate Vegan Frosting with Coconut Cream
This chocolate vegan frosting with coconut cream is a sweet and decadent icing for cupcakes, cakes, donuts, and brownies or whip it up and enjoy it all on it's own as a frosting cups for dessert!
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 ½ cups dairy free chocolate chips
Chill coconut cream overnight in the back of the refrigerator. Or for 5 hours in the freezer. Scoop the cream that has risen to the top out of the can and into a glass bowl careful not mixing it with the water at the bottom. Discard the water.
Melt coconut cream and chocolate chips using a double boiler method stirring consistently. Alternatively, microwave for 30 second increments stirring in between until coconut cream and chocolate are combined.
Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. You want it to get to a firm consistency. It should be stiff but make a small indentation if you press your finger to it.
Remove from refrigerator. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes and come to room temperature before whipping.
Whip the frosting with a stand or hand mixer with the whisk attachment until it becomes fluffy. It will lighten in color as you whip.
Use it to frost cupcakes, cakes, or make your own frosting cups and eat with a spoon!
- Get a good quality coconut cream. Shake it in the store. If you hear the water swishing around it's a bad can.
- Use coconut cream, not coconut milk.
- Use a good quality non-dairy chocolate chip. My favorite is Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips. There are only two ingredients and no cocoa butter.
- Be sure you've given your frosting enough time to chill. It needs to be firm before whipping. Use your finger to gently press the frosting. It should leave an indentation.
- Use the whisk attachment not the beater attachment when whipping the frosting. This will give it that light and airy consistency.