Vegan Peppermint Bark
This dark chocolate homemade vegan peppermint bark is a healthy version of the holiday favorite! Made with coconut oil, dark cocoa powder, maple syrup, and peppermint extract. It's an easy homemade holiday gift!
- ½ cup refined coconut oil
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract
- 2 candy canes crushed
Heat the coconut oil on medium heat until melted.
Add cocoa powder and maple syrup. Heat on low and stir until combined, about 2 minutes.
Remove from heat. Stir in peppermint extract.
Line a small shallow glass container, about 3x6 inches with
parchment paper. Pour chocolate evenly into the container.
Crush two candy canes by placing them in a large ziplock bag, and using a mallet or heavy saucepan break them into pieces.
Sprinkle crushed candy canes on top of the chocolate. Refrigerate for one hour or until completely solid.
Remove from glass container running a knife along the edge, and using a spatula break it free from the bottom of the container. If you have trouble removing it from the glass container, microwave for 10 seconds to loosen it slightly.
Break into smaller pieces. Place in an air tight container.
- Use high quality cocoa powder and refined coconut oil. This will make all the difference in the flavor.
- Heat coconut oil on low to medium to melt. You don't want to scorch the oil. When adding the cocoa powder and maple syrup keep at medium. The cocoa powder will quickly be absorbed by the oil. Allow to heat for about 2 minutes. It will thicken slightly.
- Be sure to line your glass container with parchment paper. This will help with the ease of getting the chocolate out.
- You can use other containers to cool your chocolate in as well. Try using individual muffin cups, or another shallow dish or pan.
- Keep peppermint bark refrigerated or at room temperature.