Vegan Gingerbread Loaf
Ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves are combined with molasses in this quick vegan gingerbread loaf. Moist, fluffy and subtly sweet this loaf makes for a delicious breakfast, a healthy snack, or a holiday dessert when topped with coconut whipped cream!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup date sugar
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ⅓ cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 ¼ cup warm water
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine warm water and molasses in a medium size bowl. Stir until combined. Add applesauce, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar.
Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and date sugar in a large bowl.
Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring until just combines. Do not over stir.
Line your loaf pan with parchment paper. Pour batter into your loaf pan. Sprinkle with chopped pecans on top.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool in loaf pan for 10 minutes before removing. Wait until completely cool to slice and serve.
Tips for Making Vegan Gingerbread Loaf
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients slowly. If you over stir, you'll break up the little bubbles that form that gives this quick bread a light, fluffy, and moist texture.
- Use parchment paper to line your loaf pan. This eliminates the need to oil the pan yet still remove the loaf from the pan with ease.
- Sprinkle the pecans on top of the loaf before baking. They'll stick to the top of the loaf, and make a pretty presentation.
- Check the loaf at the 40-minute mark by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean the loaf is done. If not, bake for an additional five minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Store at room temperature for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Calories: 138kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 143mg | Potassium: 224mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 1mg