Healthy Watermelon Popsicles
Simple and sweet homemade watermelon popsicles without the added sugar. Layers of fruit and coconut milk, and a sprinkling of chocolate chips, these popsicles will get devoured on a hot summer day. They're a vegan, plant-based, paleo and whole 30 friendly dessert!
- 2 cups watermelon cubed
- 1 cup strawberries hulled and halved
- 2 tablespoon vegan chocolate chips or raisons
- ¼ cup coconut milk (full fat) plus 2 tbsp
- 2 kiwi peeled and cubed
Cut and cube watermelon. De-stem and cut strawberries into quarters. Using a food processor or blender, blend the 2 cups of watermelon and one cup of strawberries together until smooth. Pour mixture evenly into four popsicle molds, about ¾ of the way full.
Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly among the four molds. Using a popsicle stick gently push the chocolate chips into the molds, evenly distributing them. You can also use raisins.
Freeze for one hour or until set.
While the first later is freezing mix ¼ cup of coconut milk with 1 teaspoon maple syrup. Pour coconut milk evenly over the four molds after first layer has set, about 1 tablespoon per mold.
Freeze for another hour or until set.
While the second layer is freezing, cut the outer layer of the kiwi off, and chop into small chunks. Blend with 2 tablespoons of coconut milk.
Once the coconut layer is set, pour the kiwi layer on top. Freeze for one additional hour or until set. Serve, and enjoy!
Tips for Making Watermelon Popsicles
- Make sure you allow enough time for each later to freeze completely before pouring the next later. This will help keep the layers clean.
- In this recipe, you can replace the chocolate chips with raisins to mimic the look of seeds, or leave them out entirely. You can also leave out the kiwi and coconut milk layers and just do the watermelon strawberry layer for a quicker turnaround.
- Substitute light coconut milk to reduce the calories and fat.
- This kiwi peeler does an excellent job of removing the peel without wasting any fruit.
- This strawberry huller and watermelon slicer make hulling strawberries and cubing watermelon a breeze. Or you can get this fruit peeling set that includes the kiwi peeler, strawberry huller, and watermelon slicer, along with six more fruit-slicing tools.
Calories: 174kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 313mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 472IU | Vitamin C: 70mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 2mg