A creamy cornmeal porridge made with coconut milk, warm spices, and lightly sweetened with maple syrup. It's a healthy, hearty alternative to oatmeal that makes for a simple and quick breakfast!
- 2 cups water
- 15 oz light coconut milk 1 can
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- fresh fruit of choice
Add water and coconut milk to a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk together to combine. Add the cinnamon stick and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to a simmer. Slowly add the cornmeal a little at a time, whisking consistently to avoid any lumps from forming.
Allow to cook uncovered for about 10 minutes, whisking every now and again to prevent clumping.
Once the cornmeal has thickened add the vanilla, nutmeg, salt, and maple syrup. Whisk together until combined. Remove from heat.
Remove the cinnamon stick from the pot. Add the porridge to 4 bowls, and serve topped with your favorite fruit and a dash of cinnamon.
Tips for Making Cornmeal Porridge
- Will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Warm in the microwave. You may want to add a bit more water or coconut milk to bring it back to a creamy texture, as it will firm up and gel when kept in the refrigerator.
- Whisk consistently to avoid lumpy porridge.
- When buying your cornmeal use a fine cornmeal for a creamier texture, or use a coarse cornmeal for a heartier texture.
- Reduce the overall sugar by using half the maple syrup, or leave it out completely.
- Add any fruit you like on top, or serve plain with a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Reduce the overall fat and calories by substituting the coconut milk with almond milk or soy milk.
- Use coconut sugar instead of maple syrup if you prefer. Avoid brown sugar, as it is a refined sugar, and often not vegan friendly.
Calories: 301kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 243mg | Potassium: 179mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 3IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1mg