Tofu Fajitas with Bell Peppers (Vegan and Gluten-Free)
This tofu fajitas recipe is a simple and flavorful vegan dinner in under 30 minutes. Packed with tons of protein, vitamins and minerals!
- 8 oz extra firm tofu drained and pressed
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup vegetable stock
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- 1 avocado diced
Heat your large skillet on medium-high heat. Spray with your favorite cooking spray. I used olive oil spray. Place tofu pieces in one layer in the pan. Cook for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from pan.
Spray pan with cooking spray again. Add the sliced red onion, and all of the spices, including the ⅓ cup of vegetable stock. Stir and cook for about 3 minutes. At this time you can add 2 cloves of garlic minced if you prefer.
Add the sliced bell peppers. Lower to medium heat, cover pan, and cook for an additional 5 minutes. If the fajita seasoning seems too dry, add another ¼ cup of vegetable stock for a more juicy fajita filling.
Add the tofu back to the pan, and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Warm tortillas. Wrap tortillas in a wet paper towel with the extra water squeezed out. Be sure the top and bottom is wrapped. Place on a plate and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. This will make them more pliable for serving.
Spoon tofu mixture into warmed tortilla. Top with chopped fresh cilantro, chopped avocado, and any other additional toppings of your choice.
- Make sure the pan is already warmed to medium high heat before adding the tofu.
- Removing the tofu from the pan before adding the vegetables and seasoning allows the tofu to stay crispier.
- Use a non-stick skillet to avoid the need for added oil.
- Will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Calories: 161kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 248mg | Potassium: 451mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1352IU | Vitamin C: 82mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 2mg