Chickpea Patties (Vegan Chickpea Burgers)
These easy to make chickpea patties have the flavors of the Mediterranean. Moist vegan chickpea burgers are seasoned with fresh parsley, and spices, served on top of a whole wheat bun, with crisp slices of lettuce, juicy tomatoes, and a creamy vegan dill sauce!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- 15 oz chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- ¼ cup red onion chopped
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley chopped
- ⅓ cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
Creamy Dill Sauce
- ½ cup dairy-free plain yogurt
- ¼ cup fresh dill chopped
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice optional
- 6 whole wheat buns
- 6 leaves lettuce
- 6 slices tomato
Place the chickpeas, oregano, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, and tahini in a food processor. Blend until chickpeas are chunky. Don't over blend. You can also use a potato masher to combine the chickpeas and spices.
Transfer to a large bowl. Fold in the chopped red onion, chopped parsley and breadcrumbs.
Form into patties, about about 3-4 inches wide, and ½ an inch thick.
Heat a large pan on medium/high. Spray with cooking spray. Place patties in the pan. Cook on each side for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown on each side.
Creamy Dill Sauce
To make the sauce, in a medium bowl, combine the dairy-free yogurt, chopped dill, garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper, and lemon juice. Whisk together with a fork until combined.
- Don't over blend or mash the chickpeas.
- Use cooking spray or a little bit of olive oil in the pan. If you want to keep this recipe completely oil free, use a non-stick frying pan.
- Keep an eye on the burgers when cooking so that they don't burn.
- Toast your buns in the oven while the burgers are cooking.
- Will keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 536mg | Potassium: 443mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 666IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 146mg | Iron: 5mg