Vegan Irish Stew
A thick and hearty vegan Irish stew with traditional flavors, that's so easy to make! It's the perfect meal for your St. Patrick's Day or any day you want a stick to your bones kind of meal!
- 3 ¼ cup vegetable stock divided
- 1 cup diced yellow onions
- 1 cup leeks cleaned and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 ½ lb white potatoes cut into ¼ inch pieces
- 3 carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Add ¼ cup of vegetable stock to a pot on medium heat. Add chopped onions, cleaned and sliced leeks, and minced garlic. Sauté until onions are translucent about 3-5 minutes.
Add the flour. Stir to coat the onions and leeks. Cook for an additional minute.
Add 3 cups of vegetable stock to the pot. Scrape any bits off the bottom of the pot with your spoon.
Add chopped carrots, sliced potatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, rosemary, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Add frozen green beans, and red wine vinegar. Cook for an additional minute to defrost the green beans. Remove from heat and serve warm!
Tips for Making Vegan Irish Stew
- Prepare all of the vegetables before you begin making the stew. You'll need to peel and chop the carrots and potatoes. Clean and slice the leeks, dice the onion, and mince the garlic.
- It's okay if the flour sticks to the bottom of the pan. Just scrape with your spoon, it will all incorporate and thicken as the stew simmers.
- I prefer to cover the stew to help the vegetables along on their cooking process. Be sure the heat is low enough to keep the stew at a low simmer, but not too hot so that it bubbles and boils over.
- Top with fresh parsley if you have it on hand.
- Will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Tastes even better the day after you prepare it.
- You can also freeze this recipe for 2-3 months.
Calories: 144kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 543mg | Potassium: 693mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 5749IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 2mg