Vegan Sour Cream
A creamy vegan sour cream made with cashews is an easy dairy free dip you can use with all your favorite recipes!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock low sodium
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
High Speed Blender Method
Pre-soak your cashews for 4 hours. Or bring your cashews to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Drain and rinse the cashews. Add to your high speed blender. Add the other ingredients including the vegetable stock or water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Start at low and slowly increase to high. Blend until all ingredients are smooth and creamy. You may need to stop and scrape the sides of the blender down with a spatula.
Food Processor Method
Use your coffee grinder to grind your cashews to a fine texture a quarter cup at a time.
Add cashew grinds, vegetable stock or water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt to a food processor. Process until smooth and creamy. You may need to stop and scrape the sides with a spatula to incorporate all of the ingredients.
- If you like more tang add another tablespoon of lemon juice.
- If you think it needs more flavor add a pinch more salt.
- If using this in baking recipes it will be a bit dry. It's best to use fresh or topped on recipes than it is to heat in the oven.
- When stored in the refrigerator it will thicken. If ready to use again, add a touch of vegetable stock or water, and whisk together to thin it out.
Calories: 73kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 107mg | Potassium: 88mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 25IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg