Vegan Cauliflower Curry with Chickpeas
Simmered is a rich coconut milk sauce, this vegan cauliflower curry with chickpeas is a simple weeknight meal, loaded with nutrients! It's flavorful, easy to make, and family friendly!
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 14 oz can of low-fat coconut milk
- 1 head cauliflower chopped into florets
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 oz can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lime sliced into wedges to serve
- 1/4 cup cilantro to garnish
Combine coconut milk, and vegetable stock in sauté pan. Whisk together to combine. Add spices: curry powder, turmeric, cumin, coriander, and salt. Whisk until combined. Add minced garlic, and minced ginger. Bring to a simmer.
Add chopped cauliflower and carrots. Cover and simmer until tender. About 15 minutes.
Add chickpeas. Cover and simmer an additional 5 minutes. Add frozen peas. Stir to combine. Simmer for 1-2 minutes or until peas are thawed.
Transfer to serving dishes. Serve with brown rice, a wedge of lime, and fresh chopped cilantro.
- Add the cauliflower and carrots to the pot first. They will take the longest to cook.
- Don't add the peas until the very end. If they are added too soon, or sit in the sauce simmering they will lose their bright green color.
- If your cauliflower isn't as tender as you like it, cover and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Using canned chickpeas keeps the cooking time down. Be sure to drain and rinse the chickpeas before adding them to the pot.
Calories: 244kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 418mg | Potassium: 668mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 3801IU | Vitamin C: 67mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 3mg