This vegan paella is fragrant and healthy. Made with arborio rice diced peppers, black olives, and cashews for crunch this is a special occasion meal that is simple enough to make on a weeknight!
- 2 1/4 cup vegetable stock divided
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 2/3 cup arborio rice
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 2 tbsp black olives pitted
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes or 1 large tomato diced
- 1/2 cup cashews chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
Sauté the diced red onion in 1/4 cup of vegetable stock on medium-high heat.
Reduce heat to medium. Stir in rice, garlic, turmeric, cumin, saffron, diced green peppers, diced red peppers, olives, and diced tomatoes. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add 2 cups of vegetable stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add frozen peas, and chopped cashews. Stir until peas are heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley.
- Use the right type of rice. A short grain rice such as arborio or bomba (the most authentic Spanish rice).
- This is a dry rice dish. That means it should soak up all the liquid, and take on the flavors of all of the ingredients. Use an appropriate size pan to achieve this, not too big, not too small, something in the middle.
- Traditionally this dish is cooked over an open flame, but let's be realistic, that's just not possible for most of us. Instead use a gas flame if possible. However, if you're like me and only have an electric stove, that will do!
Calories: 256kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 601mg | Potassium: 364mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1387IU | Vitamin C: 67mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 4mg