Vegan Cornbread Dressing
This vegan cornbread dressing with chunks of cornbread soaks up the flavors of onions, celery, and spices, and bakes up moist and fluffy. It's the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving or holiday menu!
- 1 8x8 pan vegan gluten-free cornbread dried and cut into cubes (about 8 cups)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 ribs celery finely chopped
- 2 ¼ cups vegetable stock divided
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ cup fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Dry out your cornbread. You can do this by allowing it to sit out and become stale for 1-2 days. If you don't have that time, chop the cornbread into cubes, and place in the oven set to 250 degrees F, and bake for 30-40 minutes.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Add ¼ cup of vegetable stock to your large sauté pan at medium-high heat. Add onions and celery. Sauté until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
Add basil, thyme, and rosemary. Stir to coat the onions and celery. Cook for an additional minute. Add the rest of the vegetable stock and fresh parsley. Bring to a boil.
Add dried and cubed cornbread to a large bowl. Slowly ladle broth over the breadcrumbs. Gradually stirring to combine. You don't want to add too much broth, but you also don't want to add too little. Too much broth will make your cornbread break apart and become mushy. Too little broth will make your stuffing turn out dry. Ladle enough broth that the breadcrumbs are coated but still retain their shape. You may not use all of the broth.
Transfer cornbread to an 8x8 inch baking dish or similar. Bake for 25-30 minutes uncovered at 350 F until top browns.
- Use dried cornbread. The dryer the better! Cornbread has a tendency to crumble more than traditional bread, so you want it to be as dry as possible so that it soaks up the broth without becoming a mushy mess.
- Make your vegan gluten-free cornbread 2 days in advance, and cut into cubes. Then allow it to sit out at room temperature.
- If you don't have time to make your own vegan cornbread, you can use this easy recipe for three ingredient vegan cornbread muffins that uses a boxed mix. This mix, however, is not certified gluten-free.
- Slowly add the broth to the cubed cornbread. Don't dump it all on top at the same time.
Calories: 167kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 510mg | Potassium: 137mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 516IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 1mg