This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclaimer.
Living a vegan lifestyle is more than what you eat! It’s also about the products you use in your daily life. In this article I review the top rated vegan hair products, from shampoo, conditioner, hair color, and more! You can have beautiful hair, while using healthy cruelty free products!
Transitioning to a plant-based vegan lifestyle takes time and education. When you’re first starting your journey, you focus on the foods you eat. But once you’ve got that down, it’s a natural next step to begin looking at your personal care products.
Many personal care products are tested on animals, and use ingredients derived from animals. This means that they are not vegan or cruelty-free. However, there are many brands that make cruelty-free vegan hair care products that leave your hair looking gorgeous!
You just need to know where to look! It can be time consuming and expensive to clean out your old products and replace them with new ones. When I first began the process I was completely overwhelmed!
I had everything from make-up, to skin care, body care, and of course hair products to go through!
Prior to becoming vegan, I didn’t think a whole lot about the products I was buying. I either bought what was on sale, or recommended to me by my friends or hair stylist.
As I began replacing my products, I ended up spending what felt like hours in the aisle of the store reading tiny labels.
Through the process of sifting through all my old products, and slowly replacing them with toxin free, cruelty-free, vegan products, I learned a wealth of information to help save you time!
This guide will tell you what to look for, my top rated brands, as well as where to find and purchase these products at an affordable price!
What to look for in vegan hair products?
- Cruelty-Free: You will want to look for the symbol on the product that shows it is cruelty free. There are numerous variations of the symbol, but most have an image of a rabbit, with the words cruelty-free.
- Vegan: Another symbol to look for is the vegan symbol. It is usually represented by a circle with a “V” in the center, with the words “vegan certified.”
- Organic: I also look for products that use organic ingredients. This reduce smy exposure to harmful chemicals.
- Paraben Free: Parabens are used to extend the shelf life of shampoos and conditioners. While they help with preservation, recent studies have shown that they are more harmful than previously known. They can cause skin irritation, and even allergic reactions in young children. Parabens have been linked to a possible increase in breast cancer. They attach themselves to estrogen receptors, which causes a weak estrogen effect on the body. As a woman, it is important to find paraben free products.
- Sulfate Free: Sulfates are used in shampoos because they get rid of dirt and oil. However, they are toxic and carcinogenic. They can also cause hair loss and thinning hair, so you do not want these in your hair care products! They have also been linked to eye damage in young children, so it is very important to use a sulfate free shampoo for children.
Top Vegan Hair Products Brands
There are many brands out there to choose from when it comes to cruelty-free, vegan hair care. Sometimes companies change their ingredients, or policies, so it’s always a good idea, to double check before buying!
While all of these brands are cruelty-free and vegan, that does not mean they are also organic, however, most of these are also paraben and sulfate free.
- Mane Club
- Love Beauty and Planet
- 100% Pure
- Acure Organics
- Nature Lab Tokyo
- Sienna Naturals
- Real Purity
- True Botanicals
- Ursa Major
- Beauty Without Cruelty
- Andalou Naturals
- Mineral Fusion
- Avalon Organics
- Nature’s Gate
5 Best Vegan Shampoo and Conditioner Brands
All of the brands mentioned above make vegan and cruelty free shampoo and conditioners. These are my top 5 favorites! They are easy to find, high quality, and free of harmful ingredients.
This is the brand I use and love! They have a variety of shampoos and conditioners for different hair types! I use their volume and bounty line! The set above comes with the shampoo, conditioner, and dry shampoo. You can however, buy them separately. Their entire line of products are cruelty-free, vegan, paraben free, and sulfate free. They also use recycled plastic to make their bottles! This brand is affordable and can be found at most big box stores.
This brand uses all natural ingredients to create a quality hair care products that are rich in antioxidants that promote healthy hair. They have a wide range of products for different hair types. They are non-toxic, with no chemical preservatives or artificial colors and fragrances. More expensive than the brand above, 100% Pure is sold on Amazon, on their website, and small boutiques. However, you cannot find this brand in big box stores.
Acure hair products are vegan, paraben free, sulfate free, mineral oil free, petrolatum free, formaldehyde free, and cruelty free. Their ingredients are naturally sourced and bring out the brilliance in your hair. Their ingredients are also organic! They have a wide range of skin, hair, and body products. You’ll find shampoo, conditioner, dry shampoo, and shampoo bars. Choose the best product based on your hair type, curly/wavy, frizzy, thin/flat, oily, color treated, and damaged.
Pacifica is a vegan cruelty-free brand that makes skincare, makeup, fragrance, bath and body, and hair care products. Their brand is free of harsh chemicals, including parabens, phthalates, SLS, mineral oil and petrolatum, as well as sulfate-free and silicone-free. Their hair care products come in a wide range of products for different hair types. My favorite is their Rosemary Invigorating Shampoo.
Avalon Organics makes hair, skin, and body care products. Their products use natural earth derived ingredients that are vegan and cruelty free. Free of GMOs, sulfates, parabens, and fragrances, this is a non-toxic hair shampoo and conditioner that’s EWG verified. It can be found in many big box stores, as well as Amazon.
5 Best Vegan Hair Dye Brands
Choosing a vegan cruelty free hair dye brand is easier than you think! You can find suitable hair dyes, whether you’re looking for an all natural color, at home coloring, semi-permanent, or a salon experience.
Paul Mitchell has been cruelty free since their inception in 1980. You can find their products in hair salons, so it’s a great option if you like to have your hair dyed in a salon.
You can find Aveda products at an Aveda Salon near you! They have a wide range of colors and options available. Their products are vegan and cruelty free, and 93% naturally derived. While you cannot buy their hair dye for at home use, you can go to one of their salons!
With natural organic ingredients, and free from harmful chemicals, Shea Moisture, provides an array of colors that you can buy and use in your home! An affordable home color kit!
If you like bright colors, you will love the line by Lime Crime! From full coverage color to tints, in every shade under the rainbow, you’re sure to find something to inspire your wild side!
With 95% naturally derived ingredients, and 75% certified organic ingredients, Tints of Nature is free from ammonia, parabens, resorcinol, DEA, silicones and propylene glycol. Easy to mix and apply, you’ll get a beautiful natural look!
Other Vegan Hair Products
Mane Club is a vegan cruelty free hair care brand that is based in New York. Their products are free of sulfates and parabens. They specialize in hair masks, dry shampoo, curling creams, hair oils, and leave in spray for healthy luxurious hair!
Where to buy vegan hair products?
You can find many of these brands in popular stores where you already shop. Whether that’s Target, or Amazon. You can also find these products by purchasing them directly from their websites. Compare prices from store to store. Often you’ll find the best pricing by going directly through the company website.
There are also sites that sell a variety of natural skin and beauty care.
- Goop: Find clean beauty products all in one place! With a curated line of clean beauty products, as well as their own line of skincare products, you can find some great deals and be assured you’re purchasing only the highest quality items!
- Grove Collaborative: From home products, to personal care products, Grove sends only the highest quality non-toxic products! We get a monthly box of both our personal and home products at a great price! Plus they always throw in some freebies to try!
Check out these other helpful vegan lifestyle tips!
- Top 10 Plant-Based Diet Books
- Top 10 Best Vegan Gift Baskets
- 10 Essential Vegan Kitchen Tools
- Vegan Grocery List for Beginners
What vegan shampoos, conditioners, or hair care items are you most interested in trying? Comment below with any questions. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest for more plant-based family recipes and vegan tips!